Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Thanks Ivan. There were no spreadsheets back in the day, or the tool that people are now using. I drew each course to get the width of the brick close. I just slid shims under the brick as I cut to get the angle. Some cuts took me 5 attempts to get it to fit - pain in the ass. I didn't use any mortar at all on the inside, just on the back to keep the angle. I recall using mortar on one brick at the arch in front, no one can see that area. Thanks again for the complement.

Leave a comment:

• ivancito
    replied
    Originally posted by Les View Post
    Re: Les' Build

I got past the big ugly tonight. I knew the train was coming, but it really wasn't that bad. I had to knock out a couple of bricks I set last night so I could achieve a better keystone - kinda ticked me off, but thats what it took. The brick itself was a little bit of a challenge, but just another two shower day. You will see about 1/16 of mortar on the brick. I cut it a bit loose because I was determined to set the last brick over the arch tonight, if I cut to fit, I would have compromised the adjoining bricks that I set about 1 hour prior (been there, done that) - mission accomplished...

Onward and upward!!!!

Les...
    Hello Les, Wow great job on your dome/entire build, I have read thru your build couple times looking at all your pictures and good info, I see why your a well known pioneer of this forum. Your dome brick joints look as close to perfection as humanly possible, what type saw jig did you use? Also did you use or were any angle /bevel calculation spreadsheets available to you when you were building your wfo. Im still struggling with my brick cuts and very curious on how you made your cuts almost look mortarless. Im not looking to be as pretty as you, no pun intended. But would like to improve on my brick cuts as seen from inside of dome.
    again great build
    thanks
    Ivan

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Memorial weekend: Making s'mores in the WFO, my son has the laser tracking the heat of the marshmallow's perfectly :-) It was a great day and I thank all of you Vet's for your sacrifice!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    What Gulf said, for sure. Guess I thought "bad MOFO" was universally understood.
    Thanks guys. I am now suitably enlightened. It seems that some things have not yet found their way this far up the coast and into the regions. I thought I was doing a half decent job of keeping up so I can stay on the same page as my teenage grandkids but it just goes to show you eh?

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

I'm hoping my WFO, when done, is as "bad" as some on here.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

What Gulf said, for sure. Guess I thought "bad MOFO" was universally understood.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Thanks Gulf - All part of the learning curve I expect. Many of these things have quite diverse meanings depending on the company and locality. Could have been Waste Of Functioning Organs

IMHO (Is My Hearing-aid On)

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

"And a bad wofo at that." Is a compliment! and also a play on a very similar slang phrase over here

"Two countries separated by a common language"
    General George S. Patton

Last edited by Gulf; 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    And a bad wofo at that.
    ? More information ?

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

And a bad wofo at that.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Originally posted by Novaslo View Post
    My friends all think I really love Pizza. I have to keep letting them know that I will cook a lot more than pizza in this sucka. It's not a Pizza oven! its a wood fired oven!!! lol
    I use my oven for a few days each week. Once it is hot it starts the sequence for the next couple of days. Not a lot of pizza comes out of mine other than the occasional party but plenty of food is cooked in there.

You are quite right, it is a WFO.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

My friends all think I really love Pizza. I have to keep letting them know that I will cook a lot more than pizza in this sucka. It's not a Pizza oven! its a wood fired oven!!! lol

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Just had some friends visit us from Arizona - they brought me these. Not sure how we will use them but they're pretty cool!

Leave a comment:

• slhickman
    replied

That makes sense. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by slhickman View Post
    What is a soldier course?
    It's when they give you a gun and put you on a plane to Afghanistan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X