• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• staestc
    replied
    Originally posted by staestc View Post
    Re: Octagonal Oven Base

I finished cutting the block for the oven base. Here is how it looks sitting in the driveway. I plan on not putting any steel across the openings, but will do brick arches and concrete ala Tim, before I pour the slab.

If there is any reason why I need the steel in there, please let me know now

Travis
    Wow, my landscape has changed a little since this picture! I have a bit more driveway, and a big building now! lol Nice to be back. Cut cinder blocks have been on the trailer in the picture since 2009 or so. I've been going though some of the awesome build threads that have been created since I was last on, and trying to pick up where I left off. Hopefully soon I can continue

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

I will put steel in, bad choice of words. I will not span the wood storage openings with angle iron, but will have brick arches that will go all the way up to the slab. The slab itself will have rebar

I have not decided on splitting the storage into two area yet with a wall across the center. I will probably leave it open, since one opening will be outside the kitchen, and the other inside. I figure I can load wood into the outside opening, then pull it for use out the front side.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

How do you mean not putting any steel in?

You can do without an angle iron accross the opening, but I would strongly recommend putting some serious rebar accross the openings during your hearth pour... you were going to do that though anyway, weren't you?

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

I finished cutting the block for the oven base. Here is how it looks sitting in the driveway. I plan on not putting any steel across the openings, but will do brick arches and concrete ala Tim, before I pour the slab.

If there is any reason why I need the steel in there, please let me know now

Travis

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

I picked up the last of the block I need for the base today. I am going to cut them and finish getting the base ready. Then I will have pretty much run out of excuses that I can chalk up to planning and designing (not to mention buying tools ), and I will actually have to start digging and pouring a slab.

I will post one more photo after I finish the cuts for the base on this thread, then will start a build thread.

This is way fun
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Okay, in my psuedo build, I figured out that by cutting the way David suggested, and by alternating cut bricks, I can make the corners permanent. So given that I will have long straight joints on the side, how to I tie them together. This is what I plan to do on each course to tie those side seams together.

I need 18 more blocks, then I will have all the base. I have pretty much run out of excuses to not dig out and put a foundation it!

Travis

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I like it.

I've had plenty of posts get eaten, but it's usually my own fault. I usually forget to hit the submit button before I hit the back arrow... doh!

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Thanks guys. I am pretty excited about it too. I tried to post these earlier, but not sure what happened to the post

I drew up the inside diameter of the oven dome, the outside diameter of the insulated dome, and the outside diameter of the circle that would encompass the octagonal base blocks, then started laying it up in the driveway. Those pictures are attached.

I ran out of blocks, so the wife and I went to the stone yard just to shop (they don't sell the blocks), out to lunch, to the grocery, then finally to Lowes to get some more blocks I am going to cut a few more so I can at least complete one course so I can figure out where and how I am going to put the access doors in for wood storage.

Travis

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Nice!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Oh, I like the way this is starting out! I'm looking forward to your build.

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Okay, I figured out how I was going to do the 45 degree corners. Originally I was thinking about taking 22.5 degrees off each block where they meet, then when I saw David's drawing it got me thinking. Here's the result.
    The first picture is the first course. The second picture shows how if you alternate each course, the concrete core fill will lock the corners together.

Thanks for all the help. Now I have to figure out how I will do the wood storage access holes

Travis

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Thanks everybody for the responses.

Dusty - Yep, you remember correctly. It is in the corner and hangs out the back. Three sides of the octogan will be counter end, oven door, counter end. And of course you pointed out where I screwed up the post! The cinderblocks meet at 135 degrees, which is a tad higher than 90, not less.

David - Appreciate the sketch. It got me thinking. The finish material will be stone which is not a problem regardless of the shape. It is the concrete block base that I am trying to figure out, but your picture got me thinking about some options.

I am taking the day off today to play I found a place in Dallas yesterday that carries fire brick at $1.10, and also has chimney flue, fire clay, etc., so I am going to check them out, see what all they have, and get some bricks to play and design with.

I will play with my concrete blocks too, and draw up what I have in mind and put it up here. I appreciate all inputs, since this bit is a little tricky (the first in a long series of tricky bits, I think )

Travis

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Hey Travis,

one thing I've figured out on this forum: If you don't get an answer, its often because people don't actually know for sure, and certainly not because we're not interested! Its difficult to believe with all the information around here, but it does happen.

See, I can't actually remember anyone building an octagonal oven before... hexagons, yes - octagons, no. Not yet anyway .

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Originally posted by staestc View Post

Specifically, how have people delt with less than 90 degree angles where the side of their stand meet?
    This is what I didn't understand.
    But I think an octagon base would be very cool.

My enclosure is an octagon, but my base is a square, giving me a square (larger) storage area. I seem to remember your base portruding out of the back of your kitchen, so an octagon seems very logical to me. At least an octagon in the back.

Unfortunatly, all this advice hinges on my remembering your plans!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Here's a quick sketch of what I was talking about: A three and a half brick per side octagon would be about 67 1/2 inches across, and would hold a 39 inch oven with room to spare.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X