• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mfiore
    replied
    Re: BA's Dome! Let the games Begin!

Bill,

Looks absolutely terrific. I'm looking forward to your build. Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thursday the 30th,

[ATTACH]9463[/ATTACH] Right half set. Very upset that the Heatstop-50 had rocks in it. I tried to keep my joints small as planned.

[ATTACH]9464[/ATTACH] Close up of my arch vent landing

[ATTACH]9465[/ATTACH] Inside floor/wall shot

[ATTACH]9466[/ATTACH] Blimp Shot

[ATTACH]9467[/ATTACH] Close up of joints

Well I've spent most of my day off posting pics; I hope I don't bore everyone with all of them. I need to get out and get something done!

Wish me luck,

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Thursday the 30th,

I decided to take the day off but like I said in my other post that didn't work out too well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,022.6 KB
ID:	272788 I decided to go with a half brick soldier course as I wanted a little more room on the side walls. I also scrapped my gage as I didn't take in consideration that the length from the mounting hole was correct but the hinge doesn't bend at the hole so it was off by a half inch. I may still use it but I placed the tried and true string to help with the angle cuts.

Name:	CIMG0213.jpg
Size:	829.1 KB
ID:	272789 Deciding on the arch/vent opening. I think this will work. Bricks are numbered, ready to be set. After I made most of my cuts I laid them out and realized that I was cutting them too much. Easily resolved by placing an uncut half brick every Fourth spot. I kind of like it now so I'll just say I planned it that way.

Name:	CIMG0214.JPG
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	272790 Blimp shot of the process

Name:	CIMG0215.jpg
Size:	927.7 KB
ID:	272791 Close up of the arch vent landing

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Tuesday the 28th (I believe) Sorry, I cannot remember what night was what.
    [ATTACH]9455[/ATTACH] Did I mention how much I dislike this time of year when it get's dark so early? I managed to get the floor layed out, cut, and leveled. I used the 1:1 mix of fireclay and sand. I mixed it like thinset but let me tell you those bricks suck the water out of it soooo fast you need to have your level on top of it immediately! I also picked up a few new levels. I was wondering why my old level was never consistent...One side was level, the other side was off a quarter bubble... And I thought it was me...

[ATTACH]9456[/ATTACH] I cut the first course and made a make shift gage to help keep me round and pitched correctly.

[ATTACH]9457[/ATTACH] Closer shot of the gage and floor.

[ATTACH]9458[/ATTACH] I decided to call this MOAH. Mother Of All Hearths! Holy crap that thing is huge. I guess I could use it for a bunker if we get a hurricane this way.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Saturday the 25th;

[ATTACH]9450[/ATTACH] This is actually Friday evening on the 24th. The tent worked perfectly! Curing nicely and staying dry.

[ATTACH]9451[/ATTACH] That night I formed the base, mixed the Vermiculite, and called it a night. 4.5" of vermicucrete! Saturday it was strong enough to remove the form boards. I was too tired to take any pics during but it went smoothly. The vermiculite mixed easy; just weird stuff. I expected it to be more like screed mud but instead it felt a little rubbery.

[ATTACH]9452[/ATTACH] Concrete going in around vermiculite. Deciding on which stone to use on the base. I'm leaning to the one on the right.

[ATTACH]9453[/ATTACH] All the cement is in, troweled, and ready for a nice curing.

[ATTACH]9454[/ATTACH] Done, heading in.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

BIG DAY;

I got up early and got the form boards up.

Name:	CIMG0190.jpg
Size:	968.1 KB
ID:	272774;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0191.jpg
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	272775

Name:	CIMG0192.jpg
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	272776 Got off work a little early, mixed the cement and putting the final touches on it. (cheesy photo op smile)

Name:	CIMG0194.jpg
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	272777 Done! Here comes the storm!!!

Name:	CIMG0197.jpg
Size:	999.5 KB
ID:	272778 Boy Scouts paid off! Boy did it rain; we received at least 2 inches...

I'm done until Saturday; then it's Vermiculite time!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Build day Five part two,

I remembered that I decided to stay out late, fight the bugs and get the rebar done since it supposed to rain inches the next day.

Name:	CIMG0186.jpg
Size:	877.9 KB
ID:	272770 Rebar complete

Name:	CIMG0188.JPG
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	272771 Yes I welded them. I could have wire tied them but hey, never pass up the opportunity to use ALL of your tools

Name:	CIMG0187.jpg
Size:	1,005.5 KB
ID:	272772Talk about making pizza with love! I was tired and getting silly.

Name:	CIMG0189.jpg
Size:	977.7 KB
ID:	272773 Ready for form boards and concrete!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Build Day ??? No notes, just aches and pains I think this is day 5, evening of Wednesday the 22nd.

Name:	CIMG0177.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	272767 Concrete going in the holes, rebar getting cut.

Name:	CIMG0178.jpg
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	272768 More progress, more rebar, more concrete. Love those 80lb bags!

Name:	CIMG0185.jpg
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	272769 I hate this time of year when it gets dark so early. I managed to get this done in just under two hours. Daylight is gone, heading in.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Build Day Four-part two,

After the blocks were set I decided to use a a wall bonding agent I read about. Yes I know that I'm going to pore concrete in each hole and it's not necessary but I was having visions of my son, his friends, and a football and a large pile of blocks...

Name:	CIMG0172.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	272764 Out of mortar and I'm done!

Name:	CIMG0173.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	272765 My daughter thought it was funny that I couldn't get out that easily

Name:	CIMG0174.jpg
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	272766 Rebar in, site cleaned up, ready to head in.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Build Day Four,

First course is set, leveled, and ready for rebar.

Name:	CIMG0167.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	272760 Checking out the position of the dome

Name:	CIMG0168.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	272761Trying to drill through that freakin highway cement! Check out the Florida steel toe shoes, I believe Reef makes them

Name:	CIMG0170.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	272762Blocks going up quickly.

Name:	CIMG0171.jpg
Size:	895.6 KB
ID:	272763 Almost finished.

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Originally posted by staestc View Post
    Congratulations on getting started!

Are you going to build the oven completely inside the current screened area, or build most of it outside, with only the important side sticking in under the screened area?

And I love the tropical Tampa foliage which obviously surrounds your place. My mother in law has a condo in St. Pete (her winter place! lol).

Travis
    Thanks Travis,

I am going to do exactly that. The business end will be in the enclosure. I'm going to cut a 3/16" notch in my exterior brick (or what ever I decide to use) and run the screen inside the groove. I have 3 rolls of insulation and vermiculite to go on so hopefully I will keep it cool enough so the screen won't melt.

Tampa is a great place to live. The weather is great, especially in the winter! Having spent the early stages of my life growing up in Chicago I'm smart enough to know that I hate the cold and love the water; in liquid form.

I have about 100 banana trees along with avocado, mango, papaya trees. I also have a small garden with tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and herbs.... Come on PIZZAS!

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Build Day Three (my notes say two but I cannot remember),

I was hoping that if I starred at the spot long enough it would start itself. No luck, guess I need to get going.

Name:	CIMG0162.jpg
Size:	963.6 KB
ID:	272755;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0163.JPG
ID:	272756;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0164.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	272757

Name:	CIMG0165.JPG
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	272758;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0167.JPG
Views:	2
ID:	272759

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

It is not fair. I was typing my question while you were answering it before I had actually asked it! And you managed to post the answer 1 minute before I posted the question!

Travis

Leave a comment:

• staestc
    replied

Congratulations on getting started!

Are you going to build the oven completely inside the current screened area, or build most of it outside, with only the important side sticking in under the screened area?

And I love the tropical Tampa foliage which obviously surrounds your place. My mother in law has a condo in St. Pete (her winter place! lol).

Travis

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Day One-Part two,

I was fortunate to already have a massive slab pored a few years back when the pool contractor did my walk way down the length of the house. I asked if I can form the boards and just have them poor, they said yes. Score! I made the sidewalk 4" thick except in this area due to the sloping ground so I formed it up with 2x6's and they showed up with the cement that they use for roads..? It had larger aggregate but holy crap, it's almost impossible to drill through! Sounds like tempered steel.

Here is my door that was moved, plus plants, shrubs, pavers, screen, and yes I can make a huge mess quickly.

Name:	CIMG0156.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	272750;Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0159.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	272751

At this point I'm exhausted but ready for concrete!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X