• Justin
    replied
    Re: Justin Pompeii

And a couple more photos..

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

I have now finished the insulation then attached inner and outer chimney flu and front veneer bricks. So now i need to render the dome with coloured concrete render and float the top slab up the level of top of floor bricks. I lit the first fire yesterday and nothing cracked or exploded, even at 100-150Deg C for about 1 hour.

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Sorry i havnt posted any updates for a while. So i will summarise what ive been up to for the last couple of weeks

I finished the dome and covered the main dome part with 2 layers of insulating blanket, the inner one was about 1 inch (25mm) thick and the outer is about 1/2 inch (12mm) thick with a thick aluminum coating. I layered these on the dome and sealed the joins with aluminum tape, this way the insulating concrete liquid will not seep into the blanket

I then boxed up around the base of the dome ready for insulating concrete, for this i used a product called Shiralite.
    Last edited by Justin; 12-29-2008, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gryso
    replied

Originally posted by Justin View Post
    Ok, i finished stacking blocks today and cut up all the rebar. i will pour the concret in the cores tomorrow. Did i mention im doing all this after work each day..soo very tired. haha.

Ma non ci mettete voi la malta tra un blocco e l'altro?

Strano metodo....

Ciao

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Belive me, Christo, I wanted to take them out about 10 minutes after the Keystone was in place. Dad (who at 62 is somewhat less excitable than I) made us wait a whole day. It was agony. Now I'm glad he did, but at that point I had to go home to keep from touching it.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

Great advice.

My arch collapse was likely a result of me removing the forms way too early.

The oven looks great - you are really close now.

Any special plans for the keystone?

Christo

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Don't worry, the rest of us have been there, too. Just keep the forms in until everything is dry. Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Did a couple more courses today, started using 1/4 bricks as well. Im a bit worried about this thing staying together now as the bricks are almost vertical.

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Latest photo of progress to date. I think im ready for some smaller bricks, these half bricks are getting too hard to work with and rather untidy!

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Originally posted by toyota08 View Post
    Hi Justin sorry for the late reply mate because i have square oven mouth i ran threaded rod down through the vent area and added 2 cross beams of 3/8 bar and and clamped it
    up like a sandwich,chimney plate to bottom bars.
    cheers peter
    I think thats my problem, i don't have a chimney plate, only the inner and outer flu. The place i got it from didn't seem to have the plates

Leave a comment:

• toyota08
    replied

Hi Justin sorry for the late reply mate because i have square oven mouth i ran threaded rod down through the vent area and added 2 cross beams of 3/8 bar and and clamped it
    up like a sandwich,chimney plate to bottom bars.
    cheers peter

Leave a comment:

• Justin
    replied

Thanks guys for the tip about the arch form, at the moment there is about a 3mm gap all around it so should be OK. For future courses i will use a shim as suggested as they will need to rest on the form.
    And yes i will need to start another project once this is done to burn off the extra pizza calories!

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Please, that's a total nightmare and nothing I want to think about while I have a form under my arch during the cure process. Great progress!

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Good point karl, I remember after getting my form "just right"...it was about 3/16" too short, or so I thought; I remember thinking "damn it, I have to make another". For whatever reason, I did the smart thing and used shims to get it up to the right height. Just pulled out the shims the next day and out came the form. I can see someone's form becoming wedged in there, then beating it out with a mallet - cracking all of the mortar or even knocking the arch down.

RT

Leave a comment:

Working...
X