Woodheads WFO 42"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woodheads WFO 42"

Ahh, a working vacation! Looks awesome. Nice arch form. Are you leaving a little space at the bottom that needs to be propped up so you can get it out?

Comment

Originally posted by woodhead View Post
      I took the day off on friday and got alot of work completed.
      Playing hooky from the job to work on the WFO. Now that's somebody with his priorities in perfect order! You're going to fit in nicely with this crowd.

Looks great so far. Keep up the nice work.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Amber/Ken,

thanks for the compliments. Amber, I did not get your reply until after I mortared in the arch..Doh!!!! Had a good day..set another ring as well as mortared in the arch....Looks downhill from here!! Setting the arch was tricky. A mason i am not, but good enough for government work!!

How long do you keep the form in place for the arch?

Comment

I kept mine in 3 days based on Les' recommendation. I took it out this afternoon and everything seemed great. Great job, Woodman

Mark

Comment

I will take it out on Christmas Eve!!! thanks Excel!!!

Comment

I took my forms out as soon as the last brick was in place - means you are sure that it is self supporting and it's also easy to fix if it isn't Don't know if this is widely recommended though.
              My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
              My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

Tim,

Went ahead and took your advice due to the anticipation was killing me!! Removed the forms and its starting to look like all those pictures i have been looking at on the forum.....

Question

1. On the inside of the dome, i have numerous areas where i need to put mortar between the fire brick. Other than asthetics, is it necessary to have perfectly cleaned mortar joints on the inside? It looks like it is going to be awfully hard on my back!!

2. Is there a chemical out there that will clean the mortar residue off the fire brick?

thanks

Comment

Woodhead - Hydrochloric acid will take mortar off brick - 10-15 parts water to 1 part acid. Remember: Acid into water is always smarter. As for the inside, I used a throw-away pastry bag to fill in the joints, and then allowed things to nearly dry and then took a stiff brush and rubbed all the bricks. It turned out pretty well. If you're on your back, use goggles, not just glasses. I found this out the piece-of-mortar-in-my-eye way. Sucked. Looks great so far!

Comment

I wouldn't use acid to clean up the inside. On the outside brick, no problem. I don't see you you can do it inside without getting it on yourself. You can do it before you've closed up the dome, of course, but afterward, what I did was use a stiff wire brush to scrub off any loose bits. You only wanna climb in there once, mind you! Be sure to take your eye protection, and wear a mask. I also had to go in with my arms overhead, because I couldn't get them in after the rest of me was in... so take the brush too! Can you tell I had to climb in several times???
                    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I used vinegar and a rag to clean the worst bits inside the dome. It seemed to work in the same way as hydrochloric, but not as strong. I dipped the rag in vinegar, scrubbed it over the face of the brick, and let it sit for a sec before scrubbing again. I wouldn't recommend working with a strong acid in a confined space like that (although it might be ok before you close up the dome, if you don't have to climb in).
                      My oven: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/t...html#post46599
                      My blog: Live For Pizza

Comment

I will second Tim's comments, do the best to clean as you go before you close in the dome. Unless you wear a chemical respirator and a haz mat suit, you are looking for trouble using acid in an enclosed space with the solution dripping down on you...I've had my share of acid burns - even when I thought I was being careful; it REALLY stings on the face, arms, and torso; not to mention it will ruin whatever clothing you are wearing and severely damage your eyes.

I have not tired the vinegar approach, I would give it a try....just don't waist the good balsamic.

RT

Comment

Why are we soooo anxious to take out the forms. It killed me to leave mine there for 3 days. We just want to see what it looks like and if it stays up. The funny thing is when its all said and done we wont even see the interior arch, no matter how it looks.

Comment

Hi exceloven,
                            There are (or at least I see) several good reasons to remove the form work as soon as possible after construction, those being:
                            ? the arch or dome should (must) be self supporting. Whether or no it is dry packed or mortared/glued together, it must stand by itself. If it doesn't then you have to fix it - right! Well, at least the mortar will be easier to get off whilst it is wet that when it has set and hard. I removed the sand form and supports as soon as I put in the keystone and immediately stood on top of the dome (all 85Kg). If is ever going to collapse, then that is when it would have happened. Be brave and confident in your work.
                            ? It is a lot easier to clean the wast mortar off the inside when still moist than when dry!
                            ? you get to align that odd brick that is not quite right now rather than wishing you had done it earlier, and lastly
                            ? you get to admire your handy work sooner than wondering about all of the above.
                            I do agree however:

when its all said and done we wont even see the interior arch, no matter how it looks.
                            because we rarely show off the inside of our oven once we have been using it, well at least I don't, although I always aim my laser pointed infra red thermometer at the centre of a dome brick when establishing the oven bake temps.

Neill
                            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                            Neill’s kitchen underway
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Nissanelli,

I would have loved to have been there when you took that Giant Leap for Mankind on top of your oven. You had to have been a wee bit nervous????

Woodhead

Comment

Wow - I stand on my oven now, but as soon as the keystone was in? Neill has steel balls.

Comment

Working...
                                X