Vent dimensions. Please Help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vent dimensions. Please Help.

I'll check out my Daniel Rhodes "Kilns" and get back to you.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Rhodes states "It is better to over engineer" The info I've got relates to kilns which are designed to reach their optimum efficiency at double our temps. but for example "a 10 cu ft downdraft kiln will need a flue hole of about 40 square inches and kilns up to 40 cu ft are usually given a 9"x9" chimney. The chimney height may vary from 6 or 8 feet to 30 ft. A 3 ft diam oven is about 7 cu ft (better check my maths) All this is not really much help because he is talking about down draft kilns which need a strong draw to bend the flame down. We only need enough draw to remove the smoke. The Ancient Romans knew what they were doing just follow what's been done before.

Comment

When wlively refers to an optimal angle for the flue transition I assume he means the top angle when looking from the side?
        My Oven Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...rio-12842.html

My Picasa Photo Album: http://picasaweb.google.ca/davidort/...eat=directlink

My Food Blog that includes posts about the oven build: http://www.foodwithlegs.com

Comment

Mine is 4 inches by 10 inches leading up to a 7 inch diameter metal vent. Draws just fine for the cooking phase.

Don't worry too much with this. I am of the opinion that most vents and chimney are far larger than needed.

Comment

Technically they are not needed at all. The standard design will work fine exhausting smoke out of the front of the oven. If you do not want smoke out of the front, the standard rule of thumb for fireplaces seems to apply: 10% of the area of the opening for the flue.

Comment

"Technically they are not needed at all."

I agree. I you look at the outdoor ovens in Croatia and Sicily none have vents. In my opinion, the only useful purpose of a vent is to direct fumes away from your face when you are cooking (when the smoke and fumes are quite low).

You can, of course, go to heroic efforts to direct all the flames and smoke from the firing phase up a huge vent. To my mind this will have the sole benefit of minimizing soot on the outside face. And even at that you will get some soot on the outside face.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Technically they are not needed at all. The standard design will work fine exhausting smoke out of the front of the oven.
                I also agree with this.

I have a situation where my rear kitchen door and window are less than 4 feet away from the oven. When I used to have my smoker and bbq near that spot in the nook where the oven now occupies we always had a problem with smoke entering the house.
                I promised my wife there will be no more smoke.... And perhaps I should use some good smelling wood for the oven. ..
                I don't mind soot build up on the face of the oven. I actually think it's cool.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

having no flue also has the advantage of being able to operate closer to the cooking surface, meaning less reach and being able to use short handled tools.

Comment

So the point of this is that one shouldn't worry too much about this as long as you have a flue vent and a chimney.

Comment

Ron

That thread is from 2010. You will have better response from starting your own thread and asking questions about your build. Once you describe your situation, you will get some great help from the forum.

I will be looking for your post.

Texman:
                      Texman Kitchen
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
                      X