• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven

Originally posted by smuth10 View Post

What did you guys do?
    Scott,

I cut the angle. A shim will not solve your problem. I used them to keep my radius and thats it. To minimize the "V" is to cut your bricks thinner - that will help. When I did the math, and if I cut every brick to stay off bond - the top bricks ended up being about 3/4 inch wide - INSANE! I get the feeling you don't want to go there. Many, many have built their ovens the way you are going with great results - go for it.

Les...
    Last edited by Les; 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Scott, I would let my joints get to just over 1/8" at the widest of the V's then the next row would get trimmed on the sides. I was amazed at how little you had to tilt the brick up when cutting them to get to reduce the V's. That's right, all I went for was to REDUCE the V, not eliminate it. Occasionally, it actually would get eliminated but that was by accident, not by my engineering or wet-saw cutting abilities by any means. This is just another option. BTW, your brick work looks very nice. Bummer about your job, but you've got the right attitude. Keep up the good work, Oh, and Les is right, near the top rows, if cut the bricks into smaller pieces, the V naturally reduces but that's a lot of little pieces to mortar. Others on this forum used half blocks up to the top, their posted pics look great and I'm sure they cook fine too. Keep up the good work, Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Sorry about the job, Scott. Tough times all around in Michigan. Hang in there.
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Scott
          The compound cuts are really not that hard as long as you don't expect to be exact.
          Take a look at my thread. I have pictures of the set up i used for rows 1 and 2 on pg 4 and rows 3-7 on pg 8. it was easy and close enough.

For rows 3-7:
          I put the 15 or so bricks I needed for a row in a wheel barrow next to my saw with some water in it.
          Cut the bricks in half. goes pretty quick when you set up a guide.

Now I had 30 half bricks 4.5 x 4.5 in

I cut a wedge of 2x4 with a 4deg slope (kinda like a 4" wide shallow doorstop)
          Set the half brick on top of the wedge on the saw.
          This gives the tapered bottom to top cut of 4deg which has been pretty good for rows 3-7. I'll probably recut a 5deg wedge for the next row.
          My thread has pictures of a piece of metal raising up the brick for the first two rows. I will add a picture of the wedge method.

For the front to back taper you have to angle the brick on the table by turning it a few degrees. I used three door shims stacked together to angle the brick for the second angle.

Now cut all 30 bricks with that compound cut. and you are half way there.

Flip the wedge and shims to the other side of the table and cut the bricks on the other side. ta da

Once you get it going, you can knock out a row in under 30mins.

Another helpful tool for archs and angles is the Angleizer tool and software available for $15 at HD

Good luck.
          Last edited by geisen; 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM.
          Greg Geisen
          Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Dino, I am trying to do the same thing. My oven is far from perfect and it seems like the closer I get to the top, the less picky I am about how the bricks are fitting. I am starting to get a little short on patience, but I just need to take a step back and take my time. I have a bit of a problem with my oven being out of shape at this point. I know this is usually the case with the transition to the inner arch, but mine seems to be pretty bad. I am going to try and straighten it out with the next ring, but it may take a couple.

Greg, I was worried about the previous rings not being cut on angles and having everything uniform, but the inverted V was getting really bad so I took your advice and started with a 4 degree angle on each side for the 6th chain. I am at 6 deg now and there is still a little there, but it is much smaller. I am hoping to be done by this weekend and just leave the dome sit until next weekend. I am planning to work on the chimney and outer arch while it cures. Is this pretty much what you guys did as well?

Also, I ran out of Heat Stop after the 6th chain and I decided to make my own to save some money. It seems to work pretty well. Just not as sticky and smooth. I just worry I will have problems with it down the road. I followed the recipe exactly from the FB instructions. Has anyone else used this recipe and had good success with it?

I have a lot of concerns at this point and I would love some input from those of you that have been at this point with similar problems.

Thanks,
            Scott...
            Smuth's Build
            www.openhearthovenworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by smuth10 View Post
              I followed the recipe exactly from the FB instructions. Has anyone else used this recipe and had good success with it? ,

I bought 1 bag of heat stop - the rest of my build was what you are doing - it works! I really don't know what "magic mouse milk" they are putting into this stuff to justify the cost.

Les...

Comment

Scott, your build looks great. I'm with Les, the home made stuff worked great. I ran out of Refmix at row 9, was really bummed but continued with the home brew. Turned out just fine. My crack mishap happened on my lower courses so the home brew is not to blame nor prone to crack any more than the other stuff.
                As far your oven being out of shape: you are so close to closing it, just eyeball it and align it as best you can visually. You really don't have far to go at all. Mine was slightly "out of round" but also, my row dipped a 1/2" from front to back. OK, so I have a few sharp steps in my last 2 rows and an angled keystone, it's not perfect, it actually looks cool and when you look at the whole thing from the inside, it will look great and cook great. Your concern is good, but we know you'll make it work out. Then you can take a break for a few days while you work on the vent before you start the curing fires.
                Keep up the good work! -Dino
                "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Scott,

I see you are using the indispensible tool. How was your experience with that? You sem to think the dome is not shaped properly. I thought the indispensible toll was supposed to help with this. I just built my own version of the indispensible tool and was just curious how yours worked and what I should watchout for.
                  Looking at your pictures...I think I'd be satisfied with what you have there. It looks good to me.

~Bob
                  My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Thanks Dino and Les. Just knowing you guys used it and it works fine makes me feel a lot better. I am going to try and get out most of the tear drop shape on the next chain, but like you said, I am just going to do the best I can.

Bob, The tool works great. I think my problem was I was trying to get the brick to fit nicely up against the inner arch and in doing so I did not use the tool as I got closer to the arch. For future reference, DON"T DO THAT! Just let the bricks end up where they may on the arch and keep the circle where it needs to be. At least I will know if I where to ever build a second one of these.

Just a tip for those of you making your own refractory mortar. I did not have any problems with the HS, but the home made stuff ate the skin off of my finger tips. I should have known better because of the lime in it. I was not wearing gloves. I am typing this right now with thumb and pinky. LOL If I am able to use my fingers at all today, I will be wearing gloves!

P.S. Does anyone else feel like an orangutang climbing all over these things?
                    Last edited by smuth10; 06-10-2009, 05:45 AM.
                    Scott...
                    Smuth's Build

Comment

Scott, I think your build looks great. That tear drop in the front is almost ubiquitous. It's very deceiving to the eye to keep round there. Happens to most ovens. It'll straighten itself out. Fortunately, because of the location, no one will ever see this part of the dome but you. I'm amazed at how few people want to look up into the dome. The back wall seems to be the only part I should have paid attention to during the build!
                      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                      My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by mfiore View Post
                        I'm amazed at how few people want to look up into the dome.
                        Just keep the fires of hell going and no one will see a thing inside

Comment

The dome is finally done

I was planning on waiting 8-9 days before starting the curing process. Should I keep it covered the entire time or just for the first few days?

Also, do you guys think a 24" Dura Tech vent pipe will work well with my 36" oven? I need to order the parts this weekend and I would like to save a few bucks if I can. Only if it will still draw well with the 24". I am planning on making the vent opening about 6"x10" with a angled entry on the bottom.

I think I am going to start the outer arch and vent this weekend if I have time. I am starting to get pretty excited about this. It has been a long project, but I have no doubt it will all be worth it in the end. Thanks for everyone's help!!!
                          Scott...
                          Smuth's Build

Comment

Bueller?...Bueller?...Anyone?
                            Scott...
                            Smuth's Build

Comment

I don't see any problems using a 24" Duravent pipe.
                              Wade Lively

Comment

I used the 8" diameter 2' long duratech on my 38" and it works very well.

Drake
                                My Oven Thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                                X