X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arriflex
    replied
    Re: FB Pompeii Oven Kit

Or for those of us who never get off our kiesters and actually make cuts, planning is ALL the fun!

What you need to find is a smaller brick company who would be willing to cast and fire the proper shape bricks. Forget all this cutting, just cast real firebrick in the correct shape. You could probably standardize on four or so shapes and leave some fun for the top courses.

Now that's a kit!

If I hadn't already acquired a pile of old 12x15 firebrick out of an old factory that used steam for their power source, I'd be looking real solid at this offering.

James, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods to do some abalone diving next month. I'd love to come see some of your goodies...

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hey pzachef,

Just trying to be funny. Cutting all those bricks does take a lot of time, but a number of builders have done it. There are some great ovens and some great threads on that topic.

I think doing all the research and planning is a lot of fun.
    Enjoy!
    James

Leave a comment:

• pzachef
    replied

James,

I didn't realize the cost on your end and I appreaciate your response and what you are doing for those with interest. I am still gathering information before my build.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Thanks guys,

Of course a kit with perfectly cut trapezoids would cost about $10,000. :-) $9,200 in labor and diamond blades! LOL.

To update everyone on the status, all the pieces for the Pompeii Kit will be arriving in 3-4 weeks and we have put together a list of people who are holding the first units.

Meanwhile, stay in touch with us by email if you are interested, and I will keep everyone up to date on the delivery status. Everything is looking good.
    James

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Bear
    replied

Heck yeah!

Leave a comment:

• pzachef
    replied

James,
    I think the kit is a great idea but, I'm not sure about the value in material cost as compared to my local prices. My local cost for the Bricks is also $1.20 and $80 for 80lb heat stop. The cost of the kit shipping would kill it for me in South Florida.
    What would really get mt attention though would be if the BRICKs we PRECUT, especially trapezoid cuts for a nice tight fit. Then I think you'd have me even with the shipping cost.

Leave a comment:

• pzachef
    replied

James are these precut bricks and floor tiles? My local prick for those bricks are also $1.20 but if they are precut, or trapezoid cut, that would be a real advantage and a nice kit.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

James,

Your price looks really good, even with shipping. Being assured of getting the correct products to do the job is wonderful. No more hunting all over town, talking to brickyard secretaries that don't have a clue. Great idea!

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

We haven't formally introduced it! It's sort an insider thing for the forum. Next week, when we have solid arrival dates for all the materials, we will make a real introduction, spec sheets, etc., and we will add it to the FB Store and FB.com.

But the specs earlier in the thread are the real deal. If you are interested, send us an email at info at fornobravo dot com, and can we answer any other questions and add you to our list.

James

Leave a comment:

• traviselectronics@cox.net
    replied

James, how about a link to this kit on the web site, I cannot find it
    Travis

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

We have ordered all the materials, and they should be in our warehouse (California) in roughly 3 weeks. After that, they will always be in stock ready to ship.

And speaking of warehouses, we have taken on more space in our current business park. Those Modena ovens are big! :-)

Enjoy your Friday everyone.
    James

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

This is a great idea, and one i advocated years ago. You should ship a container load of the pallets to the UK and Australia too: Their silly refractory material prices should more than compensate for the additional shipping costs.

Leave a comment:

• EADavis
    replied

James,
    Like a number of neophytes to to this board, I have been mulling over my options. Prefab or modular options tend to be expensive, but easy to buy. Casting my own (leaning toward a geodesic-type design) would help the cost, but requires a lot of forethought and design. The Pompeii oven is cost-effective, but requires a lot of work, both to acquire all of the materials (and all of the "right" material), and to build it (the "fun" part, as you implied above). Relieving the buyer of the administrative part of the project (acquisition), to let them "just do it" is a great idea. And with a price point below $1K for all of the materials I can't run down to Lowe's or Home Depot to get makes it very attractive. So, when will it be available?
    Ed

Leave a comment:

• Dancing Bear
    replied

Love it!

Can't wait for my tax refund . . .

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Great idea! I would have loved an option like that, and think it's a brilliant addition to your lineup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X