X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amac
    replied
    Re: MK1 oven Build

I've thought about some decorative valves, handles, cast wheels, pipe etc to make a locomotive like.
    And a steam kettle whistle in that valve

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

My sincere thanks for all the compliments! Yes, the little chimney on top of the dome is in case there is some steam. The oven in general is vapor tight to a large degree, but I was a little surprised to see vapor after my son decided to kiln the next load of wood in the oven. I had no idea wood could hold so much water, maybe 2-3 gallons I would guess. I've thought about some decorative valves, handles, cast wheels, pipe etc to make a locomotive like.

Build Strong!
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• dsm
    replied

great looking oven very nice work.

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Beautiful work - I also love the "monet" bridge - is that little "knob" thingy at the apex of the dome functional (i.e a sort of valve to release moisture) or purely decorative?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Very cool! That's like a steampunk oven!

Leave a comment:

• gmchm
    replied

A beautiful job! The bridge, the setting, and the oven are worthy of a painting by Monet. I hope your wife has changed her opinion. Gary

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Awesome work Mark - it's a thing of beauty!

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

I know it's been awhile, but it's just about done. I'm waiting for the rust to develop on the more recent metal work (6 months ago) before I stop it. The oven gets quite a bit of use. I'll enclose the bottom when time permits and maybe lightning strikes. Thanks to James, Les, Dmun, and all the great builders who have gone before!

By mk1brew at 2012-05-21

I have incorporated an articulated cap:

By mk1brew at 2012-05-21

By mk1brew at 2012-05-21

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

I've got the oven closed in, added about 1.5" of home brew refractory mortar (bread baking) to the outside, (I hope this isn't a mistake as I've never been clear about it's efficacy).
    I decided to follow my idiot impulse to add a stainless vapor barrier between the masonry and the insulation. I learned alot. Mainly, that I'll need to use the english wheel on my exterior metal dome.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

Check this out. Digital Thermometer for K Type Thermocouples: Virtual Village - US
    I am installing two thermocouples in my oven, mainly to do a closely monitored cure with a propane burner, and to establish a baseline when I first start using the oven. I figure it will speed the learning curve a little. I understand they become unnecessary with experience but I'm only adding about $40.00 to my costs so I'll give it a go.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Bandrasco
    replied

Mark,

Your oven is off to a great start and your theme sounds great. Nothing like rusty steel, rivets, straps, etc. Very old world.

By looking at your bridge there's no question that you have a solid understanding of applied physics. You'll have no problem with your oven.

Keep up the good work and post as many pictures as you can. It's a blast to go back and review them after you've completed it. In my case it was entertainment for the whole family...

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

Don't laugh, I've been working on El Duomo. What I'm most happy about is using only 2/3 of a bag of Heat Stop 50. I've done a # of things not by plan, and I'm blaming the help. I have a bunch of vertical joints that line up but my reasoning is the chains are what counts. A real god send has been the diamond cup grinder from harbor freight (about $30) I let the last chain set for a day and the run the grinder on the top to even up any discrepancies. I find that the mortar is best mixed fairly wet as per the masonry heater guy link that Dmun provided. Thanks. I decided to not go motarless as every tree I've planted for my wife I've had to move it two weeks later. My reinforced slab sets on 4 pillars so I can lift it off and move it as required. I consulted her for the current location, but I'm taking so long to build it that I might have to move it before I'm finished.

Mark
    Last edited by MK1; 06-03-2009, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MK1
    replied

Dino, I regularly check in on yours, hard to believe you're a first-timer in the masonry dept. It must be getting mighty tense being so close to functionality!
    Frances, your mosaic has been viewed buy all those who can't avoid me. Exceptional.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

What a lovely setting... the bridge reminds me very much of those Monet paintings, very cool!

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Mark, nice work on the dome. The cuts and angles look nicely done. I love your bridge. Very nice setting. Your "last century iron age" igloo sounds beautiful too. I can't wait to see it. Thanks for posting. -Dino

Leave a comment:

Working...
X