Gus's Corner - Timo's Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gus's Corner - Timo's Build

Here's another update on the oven. I made my first pizza. It was not what I thought it would be, but still turned out pretty good. I later decided that the recipe I had used included olive oil which burned the crust. The following try was with the Reinhart recipe which turned out fantastic.

The wooden peel I made from some left oven maple wood from another project. I rubbed it with some mineral oil to cure it a bit. I think I need to take the belt sander to it to get a thinner edge.

Here's some baguettes.

My father-in-law happen to have saved an old Teflon baguette rising tray from his days in working with certain restaurant chains. It only holds 5 loaves at a time, but it worked out well. Crispy, crunchy crust with a chewy crumb. Oven was too cool for a nice, all over browned top. Gives me a reason to try again next week. Also I over-proofed them. But for my first baguettes...me likey bread.

If you want to see a short, jittery movie of the first pizza in the oven, try this.

CecilB, I can only speak for myself and my cooking needs. I need an oven that will heat up fast and retain enough for 1-2 good bakes. With no additional thermal mass the oven heats up well in 1 1/2hours, but my oven is still curing.

There were many areas of craziness in doing this project so far. Just make it your own and do it your way, but read as much as you can and follow best practices as best you can.

Lars, I worked with a steel fabricator in town, maybe that's something you can try. He sold me the steel for the door for $15, the real cost($55) was in cutting it in the arch shape. That 304 stainless is tough stuff and am glad I had them do it. A lot of times there is steel left over from larger jobs and they'll sell it to you pretty cheap.

Timo
    My Build Thread

Comment

Here's the dome with three coats of stucco.

http://ovenblog.timttech.com/now/gallery/1/fire_hot.mov
      Must be curing and the use of hard wood, but the heat really builds easier now and lasts a lot longer. I still am working on the art in artisan bread. It is not easy to handle the oven and dough so both cooperate at the same time, but time will work things out I guess.

There are things that have turned out very well, though. Here are stuffed mushrooms and my first focaccia.

I don't have pictures of any of the pizzas because I was too busy cooking and forgot to get the camera. There were some pizzas that came out charred and crispy, with some peppercinis on top with some sausage that were outstanding.

My wife still thinks I am nuts for building this, though. Just good clean fun
      My Build Thread

Comment

Timo,

It all looks great.. I wish I had been able to get down and see it before school started back up...I am way too busy right now and working franticly to try and get my own oven done.

Peter
        Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

Yes, I've decided to just do a single layer of brick - no purchasing any more brick - And I figure with as think of insulation I have, I should be ok.

I finally bought the Harbor Freight tile/brick cutter...after buying the brick cutting tool. I think it'll be less frustration in the long run...

So, the floor is laid out, but I'm sure I'll need a bit of fireclay/sand mixture to level a few bricks out. .... Then, I will make a template for the whole floor - see how big I can get away with.

It is taking forever! Probably because I spend too much time in the kitchen! AAACK!

Cecelia

Comment

Timo,
            I have to say, for 'not knowing what you are doing', you seem to be able to bake a loaf of sourdough pretty convincingly.

My attempt was, shall we say, more sour than dough. Believe it or not, I am so used to not believing things I read, I just couldn't imagine that a metal spoon would 'kill the starter'. Well, it gets VERY sour... and doesn't rise when you use a metal fork to stir it up. My second batch is, at least, alive, but... the bread took too long to rise. I will be on round three next.

My door ( see pics on my thread... oven CRA!CK) should work okay. Did you leave the fire in there overnight to maintain that high ( over 400 degrees) temp?

Lars.
            This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Timo, your breads look beautiful - what a thrilling experience it must be, eh?
              I can't wait for the experience!
              cecelia

Comment

Timo, your Breads are looking great. I've only baked a few loaves myself. Been too focused on pizza and work.

Cecelia, sounds like you are getting started in a big way. Please take lots of pics and you might even start your own oven diary!!

Lars, saw your pics today - that oven and the area around it is looking great

Christo
                My oven progress -
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                sigpic

Comment

Here's some more pics of the oven.
                  This one shows the flagstone known as El Capitan.

In the rain, it looks like the doors are doing what I wanted to do, which is keep rain and eventually the snow out.

I placed some flagstone in the cooking area with screenings between the stones. I used one giant, thicker and larger stone about 2x4, set so I can step on it when cooking. I call it El Capitan. Everyone looks at me like I am crazy, but I am the chief on the rock when it's time to work the oven at 800+ degrees.

The iron hangers on the sides are... iron dachshund heads. The ones on the right hold the oven door when not needed. The one on the left will be for paddles and such.

The doors were actually made out of some treated wood I salvaged from a ramp Gus once used to travel up and down to do his daily routines. After 14 years it finally caught up with him and his joints and just about everything else was making it too hard to do anything but travel flat. Still miss that little dog a lot and can almost see him sniffing everything out and then blessing it all in his own special way.

I had to cut the inside edge of the doors at a 45 so when they close they don't hit the walls. The gate latch seems to work well as a clasp . There is a bit of play but that is alright. I found an old cart on the roadside that I thought would work well. It is all metal with two side flaps that fold up and a center area with a small metal draw. There is also a small shelf underneath were I should be able to store wood for the night so I don't have to keep going back under the oven when cooking.

A few more weeks I will paint the stucco dome and perhaps the walls.
                  My Build Thread

Comment

Here's an update of the stucco. I kinda went a bit off from the intended color with the walls and dome, but it certainly looks interesting. Still in the drying stages, though. I think they will dry a lighter shade. Either way I am happy and the wood storage is full. I have been waiting for the final stucco layer to cure before firing it up really hot again. The self-bonding fortified stucco is really some solid stuff. I am very happy so far with the way it sets up.

My Build Thread

Comment

I really like the colors Timo. The whole oven is very appealing. Great job! You make it look easy. Congratulations on a job well done. Cheers, Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Timo, I really like your oven. A simple, classic, and timeless design. It would have looked great and fit in perfectly 100 yrs ago and mostly certainly will 100 yrs in the future.
                        Great work!

RT

Comment

Dino and RTFlorida, thank you for your nice words. This weekend is the first really big pizza party. I have 80#'s of flour and I'll use as much as I need

It's the neighborhood-what-the-?$#$-is-party. Lot's of interested onlookers who will get their first chance to actually make a pizza and watch it bake in 3 minutes or less.

Should be fun! Any words of wisdom?
                          My Build Thread

Comment

Yeah, Timo,
                            'Bundle up'... ( my words of wisdom)

If it is as cold there as it is here, you'll want to do like my 16 yr old daughter said a few weeks ago, "... it looks so cosy, I wish I could just crawl in there( to the oven fire)"
                            This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Hello to all

If you are just going to bake bread, then you should operate your oven the traditional way, with embers left to die or swept out of the wood pizza bread oven. This is the only way you can build up the steam inside the oven to give you the ultimate crust. But if you are baking pizza and making foods for dinner, roasting a chicken, a leg of lamb, potatoes, baking a pie, etc., then I suggest keeping a small fire in the oven, as they do in restaurants. This makes it very easy. After that, put your breads in and close the wooden oven's door which has been soaked in a bucket of water. You may watch oven's temperature using an oven thermometer to see how hot you are. But you don't really have to go into the expense of buying a thermometer. How to figure this out is easy, please read my tutorial on how to find out how hot your wood oven is, the traditional sure way as I used to do it. Now I don't really check the temperature any more, and you will not need too either after cooking for the third time

Thanks for sharing
                              Have a nice day

Comment

I was always under the impression that after doing pizzas and it was time to bake bread, one raked out the embers, then mopped the oven floor which would also add to the steam in the oven. But I've never baked bread (or pizzas) in a WFO....yet! So what do I know!

c

Comment

Working...
                                X