• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cynon767
    replied
    Re: Jamie's build

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    they can be much easier to use, there is a little trick.... You get one of the drivers for the screwgun with a sliding barrel, you put the screw on and slide the barrel over it then drive it it, the barrel holds it in place and moves out of the way as you drive it in... try that and see how it works

good luck
    mark
    I tried that. Still not much use when trying to balance on the side of the oven, hold two pieces of metal together and screw through both of them. I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to pull that one off...

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

The self-tapping sheet metal screws I got to try out on the studs, not so much.
    they can be much easier to use, there is a little trick.... You get one of the drivers for the screwgun with a sliding barrel, you put the screw on and slide the barrel over it then drive it it, the barrel holds it in place and moves out of the way as you drive it in... try that and see how it works

good luck
    mark

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

I got the framework all assembled and screwed down. Tapcons are great!
    The self-tapping sheet metal screws I got to try out on the studs, not so much.

To develop the curve I wanted for the front of the chimney chase I turned to a few tricks I learned from boatbuilding. I used a piece of light-gauge rebar as a batten, and bent it to shape around a few strategically placed nails on a sheet of osb flooring I was using to make my pattern. That way I knew I would get a "fair curve", as they say. After that I cut it out on the bandsaw and evened out the lumps and hollows with a saw rasp. I traced the outline of the door bricks onto the pattern and cut them out, and now have a solid workable mockup to cut the backer board to.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Thanks, Mark, for the encouragement.

Dino- that's the one I ended up deciding on as well. I am going to have to do a bit of fancy stucco sculpting to get it right, but it is coming along.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

After a bit of measuring, figuring, guesswork, remeasuring, and finally just holding my nose and going for it, I got the framework underway. I am building a steel stud framework around the chimney to support a hardibacker and stucco exterior, with a perlicrete igloo over the dome. I haven't decided whether or not to roof the dome or just go with the stucco igloo... I may defer that decision for a little while longer.

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

I don't remember who it was that mentioned that insulating concrete carves easily with a brick chisel... whoever it was, I owe them a debt of gratitude. What with the changes in plan over the eventual final shape of the oven, I found that the placement of my perlicrete slab was interfering with the footings for the planned steel stud framework for the chimney chase. So, I set to work with the hammer and chisel, and found that yes, indeed, it cut away fairly cleanly and easily with just a bit of work. The brickset was just the right width to carve out a gap for the stud track.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

looks proportionate,,, nice....

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

After much handwringing and indecision, exacerbated by fitful weather and minor illnesses in the family, I'm finally making progress again. The last couple weeks have taken a turn for the better. I got the flue up, for one thing. I am very glad I went for the extra height; what with the height of the garage roof nearby, I would have regretted not doing it.

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Jamie,,
    you did a great job,,, You are now an official member of "WFOAMBA" Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America" Welcome to the club I just made up.. Your the second memeber... Anyone else that cares to join put it in you signature line.... New members always accepted..
    Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Wow, that looks great Jamie.
    The brickwork, the corner installation, it all looks really nice. I like your black-pen outline of the tall chimney on your 1st pic with the short roof "ears". It looks particularly elegant. Also, good attention to the full-width vent opening. Even though you're less than a brick deep, you have a good, tall vent transition with it so as Mark said, another bit of height on the vent and I'm sure it will draw just fine.
    Can't wait to see your 1st fire (however, please take your time and start slow).
    Cheers, Dino

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

This is the vent transition. I think I did a pretty good job in making a relatively smooth, steep throat into the chimney... we'll see when I actually put smoke up it, right?

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
    Jamie,
    I really like the first extended igloo... Very cool,, Now Im thinking how can I redo mine like that... good luck with whatever you choose... The only advise i can offer is start cooking pizza first, then decide
    Cheers
    Mark
    I had to figure out the enclosure before I figure out the insulation before I cure before I fire; hence the deep debate here for the last few days... we want that first pizza without (more) delay!

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

Jamie,
    I really like the first extended igloo... Very cool,, Now Im thinking how can I redo mine like that... good luck with whatever you choose... The only advise i can offer is start cooking pizza first, then decide
    Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Fish Wheels
    replied

I like the brick work on your base, if you enclose your oven with bricks I think it will look really nice.

Rod

Leave a comment:

• cynon767
    replied

Along the lines of the San Gimignano oven was this one from Pennsylvania; A combination of the two, with a vertically-sided, conically-topped igloo and a tall, curvy chimney chase, might be just the ticket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X