Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas 42

Originally posted by christo View Post
    A little late on this topic - but thought I'd chime in.

I lowered the outer arch about an inch lower than the entry arch - I figured it would help keep smoke off the front.

I also made sure I had rounded or chamfered any 90 degree corners on the smoke path. That combined with 8x8 flue tile seems to have done the trick - no smoke stains on the front of my oven - and it's a good thing - my oven is very light colored. So far no stains and no scrubbing of the brick entryway.

Good luck!
    Really like your build Christo, especially the finish. I ended up having the arch flaired like Dino but not as much at the top. I do have an 8" x 14" flue opening. Hope that is large enough to keep the smoke from spilling out the front although a little seems to give these ovens character.
    Last edited by Roadkyng; 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
      It's really fun as it starts to close up. Clean as much as you can from the outside. It's not easy to clean lying on your back inside the oven.

Joe
      Definately, I think most people use muriatic acid and a brush?

Comment

I think most people use muriatic acid and a brush?
        I can tell you right now, you don't want to be inside your oven with muriatic acid fumes, brush or no brush, unless it's one with a really long handle.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Clean with water as you go and you can avoid the acid. I agree with David that being inside the oven with muriatic acid (which, by the way, is hydrochloric acid) is a really bad idea. If you get that in your lungs you won't be able to get out of the oven fast enough to avoid serious injury. Clean as you go with water. When you can't reach your hand into the oven anymore, you do the final clean up with water inside the oven lying on your back (make sure you have the saftey glasses on because you will get grit on them).

Joe
          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Muriatic acid is used to add acidity to swimming pools. We used to dump it an a gallon at a time and even just pouring it into the pool I would occaisionally get a wiff of the stuff. It really burns. Seriously, I can't imagine working with it in an enclosed place like a WFO without a haz mat suit and a better respirator than the one I bought to cut the ceramic and lay the blanket.

Joe
            Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by jmhepworth View Post
              Clean with water as you go and you can avoid the acid. I agree with David that being inside the oven with muriatic acid (which, by the way, is hydrochloric acid) is a really bad idea. If you get that in your lungs you won't be able to get out of the oven fast enough to avoid serious injury. Clean as you go with water. When you can't reach your hand into the oven anymore, you do the final clean up with water inside the oven lying on your back (make sure you have the saftey glasses on because you will get grit on them).

Joe
              I agree with both of you. I have 4 or so chains to go and I intend to do an acid scrub before I continue. I am very aware of the OSHA regs concerning closed space ventilation and work are as we have mech's doing fuel tank maintenance on our jets. I hate confined spaces and fumes!

Comment

I should add that it will be a diluted Muriatic acid scrub. 70 - 30 water to acid. And yes, always add acid to water not water to acid!

Comment

Dome is looking great Roadkyng. Your entry arch and vent look good. I think it will draw smoke well.
                  I used small stiff wire and plastic brushes to remove the dried mortar. You'll be surprised how much excess mortar comes off with CAREFUL small wire brushing alone. Then I used the diluted pool acid on the rest. Don't go crazy on cleaning the inside that you don't see.
                  You're almost there! This part is getting exciting.
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino,
                    can't wait to get this thing finished. I have a long list of neighbors, family and friends that can't wait to help me christen it! I have been told by our new A2 Church group that they have been invited!

Comment

7TH chain going up. Switched to Heatstop as I figured I needed something stickier for the high angles. Not sure I like it over the homebrew. It is stickier but takes much longer to cure and even after cure it can be shaped somewhat. It does spread nice though. Consitency of thick peanut butter and much less granual than the homebrew mix

Also stopped by Gartex Masonary and picked up an 8.5 x 12 x 12 clay flue liner so I can work out my chimney transition.

Comment

Hello to all

Pizza oven design

1. Foundation poured. It is about 4 inches thick and 6 inches thick at the edges. If you live in a very cold climate, you may need a more substantial foundation. The dimensions of this foundation are 76" wide by 92" deep.
                        2. Concrete blocks laid up. I later filled the vertical cavities with concrete and some pieces of rebar.
                        3. Framing for plywood floor. Notice the eight legs holding the 2x4 platform in place. There are two 4x4's holding the center supports up. The front row of blocks are held up by two angle irons. The back angle iron is set in the mortar gap between two 8"x 8" blocks. The rest of the blocks are all 8"x 16".
                        4. Plywood floor. This floor can remain in the oven indefinitely. It could be removed if you needed the space under the oven, but it does offer a little support to the hearth.
                        5. Vermiculite/ cement insulation layer screed off. It is about 2 inches thick.
                        6. Rebar tied in. Notice notches in concrete blocks. I cut these with a masonary blade, but wish I had used blocks made with the channel pre-made. The wood form will be removed later, creating a space between the hearth foundation and the cinder blocks. The rebar should now be exactly in the middle of the hearth foundation which will be poured next.
                        7. Concrete hearth foundation poured. The metal pole in background made an excellent roller/ screed for an absolutely flat, level surface.
                        8. Sand/ clay bed for hearth bricks. Notice the wood has been removed and now this foundation "floats" in space which isolates it (thermally) from the exterior.
                        9. Wall bricks laid out.chose to NOT build an ash drop to keep the design simpler/ cleaner. This makes ash removal a bit messier as the ashes have to be dragged further, but it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Got the 9th chain finished and I finally found a solution to the mismatch angle between adjoining chain brick. Wish I had done this on chain #1 !

I cut wedges that are mortared between the chain brick that corrects the angle for the chains to stack properly. I found this much easier than trying compound cuts on each chain brick.

Comment

Chain 9 finished.

Also working on the chimney flue mounting

Comment

Dome closed !

Closed the dome today. Two main plugs then two wedges to lock them in place. Looks real clean on the inside. Can't believe I am finally here. Set a lamp with a 100 watt bulb, inside the dome to keep some low heat on the brick and mortar. Now moving to the chimney. Should start curing fies by Turkey Day.

Comment

Congrats!!!!!
                                take the curing slowly.
                                You will get cracks.
                                How many and how big can be mitigated by taking the curing slowly.

looks good.
                                Pizza for Christmas.
                                Greg Geisen
                                Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Working...
                                X