Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas 42

TS,
    your progress looks fantastic. I love the wave you have in the brick walls. Really makes the eye wander around.

Question - I suppose the temperature characteristics of the SBC to be similar to regular concrete. What temp range would you expect the SBC to be able to withstand? I have a 4" layer of vermicrete and a 1" layer of perlite/cement. I will do the first firing since adding these layers, this weekend. I need to do temp measurements of the dome and see how well it is insulated, and determine if more is needed.

I found an interesting research paper titled 'Thermal Degredation of Concrete in the Temperature Range from Ambient to 315 degrees C". Thermal cycling is the big no no as concrete seems to loose strength characteristics on the cooling down side of the cycle. Paragraph 5.0 states"...cyclic heating generally causes greater reduction in mechanical properties than a singe heating even at relatively moderate temperature rise of 149 degrees F". Seems I need to keep the insulation layer at or below 140 degrees F.

Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI

Comment

Re: Texas 42

It will get to 145 degrees in the sun. That is a good paper. As a rule, anything over 500F degrades and then the thermal cycling destroys it.

Comment

Working...
      X