• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3G_'s Build

Tim, pm sent

Comment

Nearly finished now. I purchased a large piece of sandstone from the quarry to shape the arch to chimney transition. A lot of work went in to the shaping of it. I wanted to keep it as a single piece but there was a fairly distinct weak spot ringht at the top of the stone and it broke, so now there is a mortar joint. The change in the stone is very obvious in the photos from the two different coulours.

I have fitted the 8" ss flue into the stone, it is a tight fit but i would like some sort of additional way to fix/seal the joint. Mechanical fixing will crack the stone (i tried various types on off cuts).
      The only option i can find is Dowcorning 736 high temp silicon. It is safe to 360 degrees celcius.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

I want to place a s/steel rotating cowl on the top. These things weight maybe 15 lbs, and the point looks dangerous, id hate to be under it if it fell!

The door is 100mm thick aerated concrete (Hebel is one brand). The timber is wester red cedar (i wanted a local hardwood but couldnt get it in time), with some kitchen cupboard handles.
      Last edited by 3G_; 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3G_ View Post
        The door is 100mm thick aerated concrete (Hebel is one brand). The timber is wester red cedar (i wanted a local hardwood but couldnt get it in time), with some kitchen cupboard handles.
        That looks Fantastic! and the rendering on the dome came out first class.

Out of curiosity what is the internal height of the dome?

Nice Idea with the door. I assume you have a flat steel bar all the way across the outside face of the aerated concrete to keep it secured to the Cedar door?

I actually like the variance in colour of the sandstone as it adds character.
        John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Cheers John, around 42" wide and 21" high.
          The hebel is glued (hoping it will withstand the heat due to the thickness of it) to the cedar and screwed. I used stainless steel 10 gauge decking screws. They have a fairly coarse thread which holds the hebel quite well.

Comment

3G-
            You might try another brick or stone "ring" to secure the flew better, but a shame to change the look. Maybe a heavy steel one to match the cowel you want to install.
            Originally posted by John K View Post
            I assume you have a flat steel bar all the way across the outside face of the aerated concrete to keep it secured to the Cedar door?
            I would consider a few tempered nuts and bolts if the screws come loose. Dont know that you need a bar, the bolts should hold concrete well enough but keep the screws for looks- they look pretty cool.
            Thom

Comment

The oven is working well, took 40 mins for the entire dome to get clear. I cooked 8 pizzas, ribs then 4 loaves of bread the other day.

Comment

Great looking oven !!!
                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                X