X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MetalHead
    replied
    Re: Oven Build In Central Alabama

Well that was the second trip . All the supports and bracing and I will have a cantilever off the front. I did not have any scrap wood for the forms so I had to buy all new materials.

Plus I over build everything. Parinoid I guess

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

I don't understand (not an unusual state of affairs for me). From what I can see all you need is the floor and the sides. A sheet of ply should do that, so how'd you end up paying $64?

(Note to self: probably not worth a trip to Columbiana for lumber...)

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well I made another trip to the Hardware Store to pick up some more wood for my forms. I spent another $64.00 and I'll see if I am going to need to go back again for form materials

I am thinking of getting the mixer that lowes sells. Has anyone used it?

Amazon.com: Black Lynx 636004 1.5 HP Electric Drive Cement Mixer: Home Improvement

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Hey just bumping this thread to see if anyone can help me answer a few questions I have before I dive back into the Pompeii pool this weekend?

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Well I got started on framing the hearth today. Notice how wet everthing is !!! It's been raining for like a month straight!!! Got the inside of the base framed up. I also cut my plywood for the top of the frame. (Ripped 4x8x56 into two parts).

I used screws and installed all so they can be removed from the bottom to get the forms out.

I used 2x3 for leg supports. They were cheaper than the 2x4 and I feel I have good support under the slab.

I still have to build the cantilever frame and I am going to widen the top to accommodate a 42 inch oven.

3 questions (OK lots of questions )

I am looking at a 20 (Maybe 19 after reading) inch door that is 12 inches high in the center. My dome will be 21 inches and the 63% rule says my opening should be 13 3/4. Will a lower opening help or hurt? I read the Sticky thread on openings that James posted and I like the special door with the wide bottom for Pizzas and a buldge in the center for taller stuff like bread to go into the oven.

How large should the vent opening be? I am thinking as wide as the opening and 4.5 inches wide (Half of a brick). I want draw, but not to much as to suck out heat.

I am thinking of a flared opening that is basically a straight line out from the center point of my oven. I guess that is perpendicular to the radius of the dome. (Damn I should have studied harder in school) Back then the thought was I'd never need all this math... boys was I wrong...

Also my center point of my dome is in the middle of the base mass (in the photo its where the 2x4s cross in the middle). This is basically 36" from the back edge of the block and 32" from the side. Is this the correct center for the dome? I am figuring after the floor brick is laid in I have 15 inches from there to do my soldiers and insulate and frame (I am actually thinking of a mosaic or igloo look) . Is this 15 inches enough?

On the hearth front the cantiliver will add an additional 12 inches to that 15 so I will be 27" from the center point of the oven to the outer edge where I'll be feeding the oven. Anyone having issues with there oven and the reach inside?

All the reading (My wife thinks I am a FB junkie at the moment ) but I am reading out of fear of screwing up at the moment .

So off to get some rest..

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

OK playing around since it is raining so much. Maybe I can get some of the form today.. Maybe

Here is a Sketchup Drawing of my project.

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"MK-101 for $363.00 with a blade on it also"

That is a good buy. These are well enough made that, after you build your oven, you can probably sell it for around what you paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Actually, we do have earthquakes! And once in a great while you can even feel them!

Morning earthquake in Alabama | NBC13.com

Bama never loses!

They just occasionally have point deficits at the end of a game...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I concur - if you tie it together from here, how in the hell can the mass move separately? Do you have earthquakes in Alabama (other than when Bama loses )

Les...

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

No - That does concern me. I started out this base with the Allen Scott oven design and changed gears. The pad is thick and has rebar in it, but I did not have the mason drill any rebar into the pad. I figured I would fill the holes and put rebar and concrete in the holes and if for some strange reason anything decided to move off it's mortared base it would be one big mass.

I do not have frost line issues here or heaving problems with the ground. I guess I am farr enough south that most pad installs here are monolithic.
    Last edited by MetalHead; 09-18-2009, 08:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post

And feedback on the blocks not being all filled with concrete?
    Every other core and you are golden. You said that your base base has mortared block. Is there steel coming through it from the slab?

Les...

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Ok - Picked up $210.00 worth of stuff at Lowe's today for the hearth concrete form and will start "early" in the morning... HA HA ...

And feedback on the blocks not being all filled with concrete? My base has mortared block and I intend to fill 3 or 4 of the holes with rebar and concrete.

I'll read some more tonight!!!

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied

Yeah it took some looking. There were many that were worn out. Lots of Bridge saws, IMER, Target and MK. I guess all kinds and brands. It just took a few times to find a clean one then work them to get the price down. It was listed at 599.00 (Never pay sticker at a pawn shop). Always knock off about 65%(As an out the door tax and all price) of what is on the sticker then walk away at least once and come back later if they don't want to sell at that price. I like to haggle!!!

I saw someone bought seconds of fire brick for cheap and I am going to call today to see if my brick yards have any.

I filled most of the holes in my block base the other day. I stuffed paper in them and put cement on top. I left 3 holes so I can actually fill in the blocks for support and rebar. My block wall was mortared in. will these three columns (I may add a fourth) with rebar be enough support?

I want to get my hearth pour completed this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Good buy! The HF is a cheap Chinese knock-off of this very unit. What a good idea to visit pawn shops, we all know the construction guys are in distress. (not to gloat over someone elses misery)

Leave a comment:

• MetalHead
    replied
    Oven Build In Central Alabama

Ok got a sweet deal today on a tile saw. MK-101 for $363.00 with a blade on it also. Looks like it has only been used a few times or at least it was well kept. Took a few lunch breaks to find it at one of many Pawn shops around town. I know everyone likes the HF saw, but this was a great deal I thought and not TOO much more than the HF saw.

Looks like a July 06 unit. We will see how she does . I'll be starting on my hearth this weekend!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X