Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tom's 42' Pompeii, Penn Valley, Ca.

Dino and Dave, thank you for your input. I got all the soldiers cut and the front entry cut today. I did a little trimming on the floor and I feel better about it. I'm going with 3 bricks for the front and figuring with the mortar they will be 9 inches high.
    I'm back to work tomorrow (a good thing) so not sure when I will get back to the oven, but the next step is to start with the mortar. I'm doing the home brew, wish me luck.
    Dino, I'm putting them around the floor.
    Tom
    Last edited by trockyh; 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM.
    Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Got home from work and mixed a small batch of mortar. I find the fire clay is hard to mix into the other ingredients as it is wet from the saw.
      Only had time to mortar a few bricks as it started to rain. I need to set up a tent to work under. (Adding to my list of things to do)

Well it's dark out, time to lock up the chickens for the night.

Tom

Comment

Got about 3/4 of the soldiers done today. I have a little stair stepping with a few of them, hope the first ring takes care of it. Feeling better about mixing the mortar and spreading it onto the bricks.
        If the weather is good tomorrow I will finish the soldiers and start cutting the first ring.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by trockyh View Post
          I find the fire clay is hard to mix into the other ingredients as it is wet from the saw.
          Tom
          if your going to be in the antelope area you are welcome to a
          bag of fire clay.

Comment

Metalmaster,
            PM sent

Tom

Comment

Didn't get to work on oven much the past couple days. Had other things that took priority.
              But I did get the second ring mostly done and the start of the third.
              Don't think I will get time tomorrow, but hopefully this week as the weather is to be nice.

Tom

Comment

Tom - looking good. Just a heads up, try and keep your brick off bond. The general consensus is that it will help to avoid (minimize) the cracks.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Tom,
                  I love the backdrop to your photos. Absolutely gorgeous.
                  dave
                  Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Les, thanks for pointing that out. Edit: this afternoon I went out and looked at it and I think the wide angle lens on my camera makes it look like the bricks are lined up, but the are actually staggered for the most part.

This is my first attempt at brick and mortar and I know they need to be staggered but somehow as I'm laying them I wasn't paying attention to that, just trying to get them lined up and at the right angle.

Dave thanks, we are blessed with a beautiful view of snow capped mountains and the valley below us has farms and horse ranches. It's nice to see the snow, but we rarely get any here. Had a few inches back in December that was gone the next day.

Tom
                    Last edited by trockyh; 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Worked on the inside arch today and I think it turned out pretty good. Sure hope it holds up.
                      While I was setting the bricks I looked up to see a rainbow and the sunset on the mountains. Had to stop to take pictures. Enjoy! Couldn't get all of it in one shot.

Tom

Comment

Good work Tom, beautiful rainbow AND arch.

So what's the height of that inner-arch you just finished? It's attractively low (not real "archy"). I like it.

Just asking so you can adjust the final height of the dome. It's best to keep the opening height at 63-65% of the dome height (using that as a max, the key is not to have an overly tall dome) so you can use that retained brick heat to cook your pizzas which will be about 19"-21" or less below it depending on your inner-arch height.

Thanks again for the mountain/rainbow pics. Us city folk who don't get out much really enjoyed it . Thanks, Dino
                        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino,
                          The arch is 12 inches. Is that too low? My wife made the paper templet which I used to make the support. Let me know if this will work as I can change it now, before I tie the rings into it.
                          Thanks again,
                          Tom

Comment

No, not at all: 12" high inner arch is perfect . A final dome height of anywhere from 19"-21" will work out fine. You made your arch with such a nice arc, it "appeared" a little lower than that. It's funny that photos can alter how things look.
                            You're doing fine. Your domes looking great. Keep it up. Cheers, Dino
                            Last edited by Dino_Pizza; 01-08-2010, 12:27 PM.
                            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Tom,
                              Looks fantastic! You're really rollin' now.
                              If I could offer any advice on your arch, it would be on your keystone. The rules are ancient and simple. It must always be in the middle, and it must be tapered. Keep this in mind on the outside arch.

dusty

Comment

Thanks dusty for your input. Here's to it not caving in (Cocktail in hand).
                                I worked on the oven over the weekend. Made some progress, but the dreaded transition to the arch is killing me. I've cut and mortared a couple rings, but am stuck on 5 at the moment. Didn't have time to work on it today and it is to rain the next few days.
                                I moved the saw under cover so I can cut the next coarse to have ready when the rain stops. I'm not complaining about the rain, I love it and we need it. I'm just trying to get it done enough to cook by my mom's birthday party in Feb.
                                Nothing like a deadline to get ya moving.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X