Perlite Concrete on free form igloo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perlite Concrete on free form igloo

Please do keep us updated on this! I know your chimney R&D will be helpful to more than a few members, and the subject of indoor WFO's seems to be getting a ton of action lately on several threads.

Comment

Chimney throat adjustment

After last nights smoke leaking I was a little disappointed. I finally decided to open up the throat a little as shown in the pictures. It seemed that most of the smoke was leaking past the throat on the sides. I cut the throat to curve from the edge of the oven opening up to match the width of the flue liner. A little dusty for an inside job and unfortunately I nicked a few bricks with the grinder wheel, but I did manage to get a nice curve. I loosely put the chimney back together, temporarily taped the joints with aluminum tape and built fire number 4. Not a lick of smoke leaked this time. I plan to keep the chimney in its temporary unmortared state until the curing process is done and I have seen enough fire conditions to be sure the chimney is working up to expectations.

Comment

Marty,
        another possible solution if you continue to get smoke out of your front archway is to make a door or even a blind to fill the top half of the opening thus making it harder for the smoke to escape with the rush of air into the oven. A top half door will also force the smoke up your generous flue.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

You might also consider a draft door to channel air and smoke on startup. Your oven is unlikely to leak smoke once the fire's going.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I plan on making the front arch 2" lower than the inner arch to help with the smoke leaking. It appears yours are the same height?

Comment

I plan on making the front arch 2" lower than the inner arch to help with the smoke leaking. It appears yours are the same height?
              I thought about doing that. I think it would have made the difference of smoking or not smoking for my oven. I was concerned about the ease of using the door. Tipping the door under the dropped section would work just fine.

I have also considered an inner and outer door with a damper or air control device. I may still do that. So far no more smoking. Opening up the throat made a huge difference.

I am also considering making a clean-out for the lower part of the flue by cutting a square hole in the first tile as seen in the photo below. Since I have got things working for now I am hesitant to make any changes though.

Comment

Working...
              X