New Pompeii challenges on space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Pompeii challenges on space

Thanks for the tip, egalecki. I looked at all the ovens FB offers, but until I'm convinced that I can't build an all-brick (pompeii) oven for under $1,000 given my site limitations I'm going to keep trying. BTW, I did check on the freight for the 36" pompeii and it was as much as the oven itself !!

I do like the primavera 70; it's a nice looking oven that'll probably do the trick. But, with tax, shipping, and crating it's over $3,200. Not what I had in mind.

I looked at your photos and your short side appears to be about 40" (which would work well), but can't tell your long side. 64" is better than 70", but still more than I can live with. 64" would leave me with only 15" between the oven and the patio post (which is a bit too tight).

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I can't help you much on the space issue but I can help on the fire bricks. Pacific Clay Brick Products north of Lake Elsinore ( I 15 lake Street exit, Right on Temescal Cyn Rd.) has seconds in 4.5 x 9" fire brick for $.25 ea. Supposedly they are seconds because of color although who cares about color. I'm about halfway thorugh my dome using them and have had no problems at all. I live in Fallbrook (more specifically - Rainbow) so if you want a look see let me know.

Lee

Comment

Wow, Lee, that's a big help since I'm trying to do qaulity on a budget! That sounds like the old Aberhill factory in Temescal Canyon. I know it well. I used to go the old Italian Restuarant by the hot springs out there before it burned down many moons ago.

Do they have a minimum or maximum quantity and are they available all the time? Maybe I should just call them directly. What was your experience in dealing with them?

I might jump on the Harley this weekend and ride up to Rainbow and check out your oven if it doesn't rain.

Rick

Comment

Lee, I called Pacific Clay and they had a little over 200 of the die-lot damaged light orange/yellow and so I bought them all at $.25/ea. sight unseen. I figured I saved over $250.

I might be short or I might be long, but since the next closest price is $1.47/ea I figured it was a good deal. If all else fails I can resell it for what I paid for it. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it !!!!!!

Rick

Comment

Hey RA I'm just up the steet from you in San Clemente. Welcome! Great job on the brick. If I can help you source or anything else, let me know if or how I can help.

Chris
            Last edited by SCChris; 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Check with your local council about how close you can build to your perimeter fence. Here the rule is 1.5m It would be a shame to have to break it up and build somewhere else. Having said that, mine is right up against my neighbours fence. Have to be careful they don't complain- keep feeding them pizza.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yes, I believe we have a 3ft. setback for all structures over 3 feet in height, but I need to double-check with the City. I'll have a challenge for sure. Thanks for the reminder. This is part of my problem: size and set-back.

Comment

Thanks for the moral (and practical) support.

I went ahead and purchased the last of their manufacturer's second on high quality firebrick on Friday (yes, all 224 in the rain). It was quite a load in my little utility trailer (actually over the rated weight - just keep those lug nuts very tight) back to Oceanside pulled by a Chev Cavalier. So now they are stacked on a pallet in my garage all nice and comfortable.

Anybody looking for firebrick in So Cal should definately check out Pacific Clay in Lake Elsinore (just off I-5 at Lake Ave on Temescal Canyon Rd.). The firebrick I bought for
                  $.25/ea. had some minor color distortion on the flat side and hardly noticeable. Certainly won't be noticed after a few hot fires. I've read that some people prefer other brick to Pacific Clay, but the price sold me. You should know this brick is rated for 2300 degrees and normally sells for about $1.07/ea. at the factory. My local brick store was selling medium firebrick for $1.47. Call first to see if they have any manufacturer's seconds in inventory and talk to Mike in the Sales Dept. I took the last of what they had for the most recent production run.

Comment

Hey, guys

I've worked out a corner build for a 36" oven and mapped it out (as recommended) using SmartDraw with wall lengths of 70" and 47", respectively.

I used the diagrams on pp. 17-18 of the Pompeii Oven Instructions as a guide. According to the dimensions on p. 13 the total depth of a 36" oven is 70" all-in.

My measurements show I only have room for 62" after I allow the 5" setback for air space and exteior wall (assuming I build an enclosure).

I would have thought that with walls of 70"x47" (which is bigger than anything on pp. 17-18 of the instructions) that I would have plenty of room. But, it appears that I'm at least 8" short diagonally.

What am I doing wrong or am I missing something?

(I couldn't figure out how to attach a pdf file to this post, but can send the layout elsewhere if helpful).

Thanks.

Rick
                    (ralogan55)
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ralogan55; 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM. Reason: Attached Stand Design

Comment

You attach a PDF the same way you attach an image or other file: Below every text box is a button that reads "go advanced". This takes you to an enlarged page, and below the text box is a button that reads "manage attachments". This button will bring up a box that will let you browse your computer for the desired file. Don't forget to hit the "upload" button to attach the file to your message.
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

dmum,

Thanks for the tip. I went back and attached the pdf so maybe now I can get some closure on my stand design.

Rick

Comment

Les,

Since you built a corner oven design, could you please take a look at my post #24 on 2/15/10 and see if you have any comments. I think my concern is self-explanatory in the post.

Please comment. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X