Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric's WFO build

Hey Eric,
    Your oven is looking great !!! Love the arch form.. Hope to see more pics soon...

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Finished up the outer arches and flue opening this morning. Those arches are like 2 year olds, you have to watch them every second or they go their own way. Now to figure out the anchor plate chimney mount.
      Eric

Comment

Eric - the arches look fantastic. Really nice brick work. Congrats!

S

Comment

Thank you sensei. I had pictures of your arches for my guide laying next to the arch form to make sure I had it right ( and I still had to rebuild the left side because it got away from me). Now if they hold together through the curing process it will be awesome.
          Eric

Comment

Haha! Glad to hear that the pictures were helpful. Building the arches was sometimes frustrating, but for me, also one of the most satisfying parts of the build.

Can't wait to see the rest of your build take shape!

S

Comment

I just realized I didn't leave a ledge on the inner arch to put the bricks for the flue transition to the anchor plate. I guess I will have to create a ledge-hmmm, I will plan better with my next oven, but I can make it work.
              E

Comment

Hi Eric,

No worries about the ledge. You are actually on the right track. Just place half-bricks next to the inner arch to create your ledge. The arch form you created is perfect for making that ledge.

Raffy

First Pic: No ledge
                Second Pic: With Ledge
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Just as I was planning, create a ledge, using the "Raffy Tool" (I say that with the utmost respect for the quality of your build, you have done an amazing job with your build). Cutting it back with the angle grinder may not be the purist's way, but I am all about getting this thing done and cooking great food in the end result.Which reminds me, I have to feed my starter because I haven't been able to bake bread for the last two weekends because I have had a serious case of WFO fever. My FB blanket comes next week. Build the flue/chimney transition, attach the chimney and I am cooking-hopefully 3 weeks max.
                  Eric

Comment

Eric,
                    does grinding a reveal at the top mean you have to also grind the sides? If you have a 1" reveal already on the sides, you could grind a 1/2" at the top and carry it down the sides so you'll have a larger side reveal yet small arch-top reveal. I've seen this happen to others and not sure if it was an error or it wasn't important (since it is a bit hard to cut a reveal into the arch bricks) but if you're baking bread (which you are), you'll want a decent seal on the door and arch and the reveal does that.

You've got such a nice vent opening, I would not want to see it reduced but you could put smaller 1" "phony arch" pieces along the arch to create the reveal. Whatever do you will work out great.

You've got a great looking arch.
                    -Dino
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Eric. That is very flattering of you to say that.

I've always wondered about baking with starters. Is it better to make your own rather than using packaged yeast? What are the benefits? Forgive me for asking. I have limited experience when it comes to bread.

My FB blanket comes next week
                      The ceramic blankets can get itchy and irritating to the skin. I suggest gloves, face mask and a long sleeved shirt for proper protection while handling them. I had to learn the hard way hehehe

Hope everything is ok on your end. Take care.

Raffy
                      Last edited by Raffy; 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM.
                      sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                      WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Made good progress today. The arch thing gets easier after you repeat it several times. Now that I am done with them I will probably forget all my arch building skills. Oh well I have one more to do on the wood storage area below the oven.
                        Now I have to wait to cure, how long are you supposed to wait again?

Eric

Comment

Some more pics. How long until I can cure?

E

Comment

I love my oven. I love my oven!

Haha- my wife posted this, I think she is a little jealous of my mistress the oven
                            E
                            Last edited by eprante; 04-05-2010, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Hey Eric,
                              Your arches look great, You can start curing with a halogen lamp if you want, It will generate a ton of heat,, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...uring-767.htmlHere is the sticky on curing... If I remember correctly I waited 3 weeks before my first fire, Being patient now is the hardest part...
                              Congrats on a job well done
                              Mark

Comment

Your opening and chimney transition work is looking very beautiful! Is that anchor plate from FB? Everything is just looking wonderful. I know how you feel. I imagine it's like the birth of your latest baby.

Congrats on a job well done!
                                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)

Comment

Working...
                                X