Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: Perfect Pizza Cutter - Does it Exist??

Jay,
    sorry I didn't reply earlier!
    Yes I make all things myself, as you often have trouble finding them let alone justifying their costs.
    This cutter was an offcut from my stainless chimney funnel void so decided to grind the cutting edges using the sides of my 8" bench grinder (but don't get the edges hot and burnt as you change the crystalline structure of the metal and often soften them). I ground the edged until almost sharp and then a 'flap' disc or even a fine cutting disc in a 4.5" angle grinder. The thin 1mm cutting discs are made from fine abrasive and if used carefully, will hone a really nice clean smooth edge.
    I the grabbed a piece of blackwood off cut laying aroind, cut a thin groove in it with the table saw, mixed up some 2 pack adhesive and glued the blade innto the handle.
    Wholla! all done bar the clear sealer.

Cheers.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• WaWaZat
    replied

I think I may purchase one of those flat (no lip), phenolic resin pizza serving/cutting board... Wiley schooled me on those above... and sharpen my rocker cutter. Now to figure out how to get a good edge on that... any suggestions?!

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

Hey Neil, how do you "strope" the edge. I am not familar with this.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

I really liked the idea of the single large curved blade cutters, but was then dismayed to discover how poorly they perform on a pie pan with a shall lip, as almost all pizza pans have (for nothing better than aesthetic reasons as far as I can tell). The large blade "trips" over the lip and leaves the crust partially uncut. As a result, I never used the darn thing. I just went back to wheel cutters and shove my pizza all over the place like you said happens to you. I haven't tried Tscar's "from the middle" technique though. I'll have to give that a shot.

Sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

"I just use a standard roller cutter on a large aluminum pizza pan that I bought from a kitchen supply company. Since the pans don't have lips on them, it is easy to cut completely with the roller cutter and my pies don't slide around."

Same here. I use one large pan near the oven opening to put the pizza on and cut it. I then slide the cut pizza onto an ordinary pizza pan for serving. This way I can keep the pans near enough to the oven opeing to keep them warm.

I also strope (not sharpen) my pizza wheel to keep it sharp. I strope using an ordinary kitchen steel with the steel going away from the cutting edge.

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

I just use a standard roller cutter on a large aluminum pizza pan that I bought from a kitchen supply company. Since the pans don't have lips on them, it is easy to cut completely with the roller cutter and my pies don't slide around.

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

I've been very pleased with the Forno Bravo cutter which came as a reward for 250 posts. No need for any double roll. It is sharp and if properly cared for should last for a long long time. IMHO worth the price if one prefers to buy one rather than contribute to the dialog.

As for cutting surface: I cut on a small sheet of phenolic plastic. Caramel in color, it is a phenolic resin and paper product. While my cutting board is a salvage piece from Boeing Surplus I have seen commercial pizza cutting boards made of the same material. Those boards you linked too look like the wood fiber and phenolic resin version. Phenolic resin products have been around since the early 20th century and are basically food safe... just don't get them too hot. As a "thermosetting" plastic they will blister, char and give off a stinky odor rather than melt.

Cutting against hard wood is fine as is a piece of Corian. The trick is to cut against something a bit softer than the knife but not so soft that they are deeply cut. The white poly cutting boards are usually too soft and are easly deeply scored creating places for food debris to collect and fester. And as a "thermoplastic" plastic they melt.

Bests,
    Wiley

Leave a comment:

• texassourdough
    replied

Very Nice, Neil! Beautiful job! Cool that you did it yourself!
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

There is a thread dealing with this very question, see:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...nife-3962.html

I have several posts with the pics attached and I have not had to sharpen this rocking home made pizza cutter since I made it some years ago. It was an offcut from my stainless steel chimney void sharpened and set into a wooden handle.

Cheers

Neill

Leave a comment:

• WaWaZat
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Regular old wood cutting board, but I may buy a couple of those, they are nice.
    I wonder if whatever else besides the wood fibers, that makes them dishwasher safe & absorption resistant, would tend to dull a cutter.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Regular old wood cutting board, but I may buy a couple of those, they are nice.

Leave a comment:

• WaWaZat
    replied

Well, I have a commercial one, but it wasn't expensive and I have had it for years and never sharpened it. I cut on a wood cutting board.
    Are you talking just any large wooden cutting board or these fairly pricey wood fiber Pizza Cutting / Serving Boards?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Well, I have a commercial one, but it wasn't expensive and I have had it for years and never sharpened it. I cut on a wood cutting board.

Leave a comment:

• WaWaZat
    replied

It is probably your technique more than the tool. With the wheel type, start in the center and pull towards you, turn the pizza as much as you want and cut from the center towrds you, etc.

Oh and don't cut on anything but wood.
    So you're saying any old cutter will suffice?... as long as it's sharp perhaps.

I do cut on a stone which I guess can cause a prob for sharp blades. What do you guys cut on? I'm afraid to score my wooden peels.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It is probably your technique more than the tool. With the wheel type, start in the center and pull towards you, turn the pizza as much as you want and cut from the center towrds you, etc.

Oh and don't cut on anything but wood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X