No announcement yet.

Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Neil,

True...I could have used a few more vanes. But I did not expect to hit that point until the vanes were close enough to bridge the bricks.

The chopstick idea is a good one. I agree the styrofoam overall is a proven technique but with some things to consider. I am pleased with their performance overall and think I still prefer them to the indispensible tool...at least for me. Particularly when I get impatient and want to get more done at a single sitting. The indispensible tool certainly has proven results of incredible quality. I am amazed at some of the projects on here and enjoy the dialogue.

Comment

Re: Building in Central Florida, Question about insulation beneath cooking floor

Nice job! I like your angled vent and the way you put the anchor plate on. It will draw smoke well, you'll have no worries there. You're right, use the heat-stop and just point it in where you need it. So there's a little mortar over the edges, your brick work looks pretty sharp.
      Keep up the good work,
      -Dino
      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino...Thank you for your comments. I have to say it has been a very enjoyable project. A bit of an obession at this point but a rather good one I think.

Comment

Looks Great! Now the fun part begins! Cooking! I used a vanes approach and had almost the opposite problem that you had, not enough mortar on the inside joints. I had to go in an point the inside of the oven. I think if I ever build another, I will use the indespensible tool instead of the vanes, but that said, my oven is extremely functional if not as pretty inside as some of the newer ones! Enjoy (from a fomer Floridian...Go Gators!)

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks Drake.

Comment

Gentlemen,

It is great to see others with the same issues as I am having. I live in Central Flordia also and got my material from harwood and cemex. I used the smooth firebricks for the floor as well and the rough firebricks from harwood in the dome and entrance.

I realized the problem for the form as I started my first couple of chains, I will post some pics of my jig that I made and while tricky my bricks at the top stayed in place fairly quickly. I used a mixture of heatstop and homemade fire mortar. I just decided to check the forum and thought it would be cool to touch base with someone local and share stories.

Comment

Welcome aboard,

This is one of the neatest forums you will ever join. Tremendous knowledge, and various experience.
                Looking forward to see the photos.

cheers

Eddie
                My Web site

Comment

Agreed. Informative and supportive.

J drop some photos of your build when you get a chance.

I fired my oven this weekend using the charcoal pan from a smoker with some all natural lump in it. Kept it nice and low but threw in some wet cardboard to get a nice smoke going to root out any leaks. Had about 7 leaks in the dome I have since re-mortared.

You can see from the photos I have got most of the house started. House will be covered with concrete board with metal roofing. The only wood I intend on using will be to form the drip edge. Any thoughts on how close I am placing the chimney cap to the roof line?

Comment

Here are some pics and I don't have the new ones downloaded yet. The jig I used for the dome is in one of the pics. I put a center mark on the floor and just moved the jig around centering it on the mark. I was able to clean the mortar joint from the inside which helped out on lining the brick up correctly. The mistake I made was not staggering the seams like I wanted. I was able to use the jig all the way to the end. I can still put the jig in and move 360 degrees. I had a hard time with the angles at the end, this was also due to cheap tile saw. My first firing to see if it would draw ok went well. I am going to wait a few more days unitl I start the curing process.

I will get some new pics soon...

Josh

Comment

J...Oven is looking good. How big is it?

Comment

Got the walls up, loose vermiculite and perlite poured in, and the roof on. I am definitely going to add to the chimney height....it is a wee bit tight.

The first bake ended up being bread for Xmas dinner. A nice German Farmers bread. It came out pretty good for first attempt. Admittedly, my timing was off and I did not let it rise as much as I should but there was a lot going on around here on Christmas as may imagine. But the bread had a wonderful hard crust and dense and chewey center. Definitely reminded me of Europe.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comment

Merry Christmas to you too, A day late

I'm happy you jumped right in there and used the oven to supplement the menu for Christmas. Very impressed with the rapidity of your build. I'm looking at the dates on your posts and it seems like you really got things done in a hurry. Congratulations on a milestone piece for your landscape.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks L. Most thankful for an understanding wife while I have worked on this thing almost everyday in some form incuding under flloodlights, head lamps, cold, rain..LOL. I guess I just do not want to have the proverbial unfinished DIY project in the backyard.

I do think a break is due soon though...get recharged before I laydown the patio and set the stone walls. I am looking into natural stone as it appears to be the least expensive in this area....about $3 a sq ft here. Manafactured would probably be easiest but it is actually more then the real stuff. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by glowthb View Post
                              Thanks L. Most thankful for an understanding wife while I have worked on this thing almost everyday in some form incuding under flloodlights, head lamps, cold, rain..LOL. I guess I just do not want to have the proverbial unfinished DIY project in the backyard.

I do think a break is due soon though...get recharged before I laydown the patio and set the stone walls. I am looking into natural stone as it appears to be the least expensive in this area....about $3 a sq ft here. Manafactured would probably be easiest but it is actually more then the real stuff. Amazing!
                              The local limestone here (called Granbury stone) was $5 a square foot three years ago is now pushing $8-10 a square foot on a wall and $6-8 as flagstone. $3 is a slam dunk, cultured stone can't compete with the look of real stone!

Lee
                              Last edited by Lburou; 12-26-2010, 01:06 PM.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

First Pizza! Amazing! Thanks to all.

Comment

Working...
                                X