Acid Wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acid Wash

I use acid as well - I just love the colors about an hour after taking, er, using

Seriously, just take the precautions and be ready for incidental contact and DON'T FREAK OUT! Be informed about proper usage and use the right PPE and be confident. Power tools provide a greater exposure to injury than does chemical exposure. Also, only use muriatic/hydrochloric/pool acid mixed at no greater than recommended and you will be just fine. Acid strengths will vary - in the US it is 28% due to chemical regulations thanks to homeland security.

Chris
    Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I am not a mason. I am a masonry salesman and consultant. I deal with architects, owners, and masonry contractors, and have for the last 20 plus years, and did field work in concrete construction before that. Product knowledge and it's practical application is what I do.

I have been through this before on this site, and if you do an advanced search using the following search terms, "best practices", you will see why I do not recommend muriatic acid, even though I personally used it on my oven's (but never on firebrick under any circumstance, I don't care who tells you to) brick work.

Comment

Im a full time ballet dancer, part time bricklayer.
        I must do something about my cod piece, every time I bend to lay a brick it rides up.....
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Surely down under they HAVE buffered acidic cleaners?

Comment

We have what they call Anti Eff, I used it and its even more worser that spirits of salts.

http://materialsintheraw.com.au/medi...eff%20MSDS.pdf

KLEN International

Google

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I don't know which would be more painful, acid splashed in my eyes or actually seeing brickie in a leotard, tutu, and a upward riding cod piece

RT

Comment

Its only seems weird the first time.......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

OK all joking aside, I really cant see the seriousness of all the warnings here about using Hydrochloric Acid to clean your outside brickwork, (never really thought about cleaning the inside of the oven, but why would you the fire will clean it for you) .

This acid is used to clean ALL brickwork in Australia without exception.

Use it with caution, but use it, it wont kill you unless you drink it, I can think of much better things to drink than acid...

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi all
                    I know hydro acid is the "Industry standard" its the only way to get of the excess morter. But..... if you only have a lime haze as you have cleaned as you went like me, you can use vinegar. neat, hard brush hose off. worked for me.....
                    Bricky in oz... which is the safe method of mixing the water and acid together
                    Add water to the acid or the other way around??? heard if you get it wrong way about it can splash in your face????

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                      if you only have a lime haze as you have cleaned as you went like me, you can use vinegar. neat, hard brush hose off. worked for me.....
                      I always clean as I go, but the still use acid after Ive done.

worked for me.....
                      Yeah right!!

Bricky in oz... which is the safe method of mixing the water and acid together
                      Add water to the acid or the other way around??? heard if you get it wrong way about it can splash in your face????
                      Always water then acid, it was taught in high school elementary science....
                      Also Dave, dont put your face over the container no matter what, this will save splashes to your face..
                      Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-27-2010, 01:11 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The problem as I see it, is not the safe and proper use of an acid solution on the exterior, it is the improper use (undiluted, no gloves, no glasses, short sleeves, used on the interior - basic common sense to anyone who has ever done masonry or worked with an acid solution).
                        I have been on this forum for nearly 4 yrs and have seen the acid question come up many times, and many of those involved cleaning the interior. No offense to anyone in particular, but there have been many, many basic/common sense questions that have been asked and they just could not understand or didn't want to understand the answers provided. We all can't be rocket scientists or the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not to mention those who merely skim over a thread and say "I got it" and proceed, throwing caution to the wind.
                        Another point besides safety is the degradation of the mortar and/or bricks if using too strong of a solution or leaving it on and saturated too long. I can speak first hand on this, my wonderfully helpful wife thought she would help during our pool build. Used straight from the jug muriatic acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid) to clean the just installed stone spillover wall from our spa to the pool. Literally ate into the mortar over 1/2" and caused severe spalling on many on the stones. Long story short, lost 3 days and needed another ton of stone to replace. She knew all of the safety precautions and had seen me clean brick and stone many times, she just didn't know or ask (and I never mentioned) that it needed dilution.
                        That little story is exactly why I won't recommend its use to the masses of this forum. There are a lot of well intentioned DIYers out there who don't know, don't ask, don't research enough, or are in too big a hurry.

RT

Comment

Well stated RT.

Chemicals are neither good nor bad, its just the ignorant (this is not to be insulting) using them that cause the problems.

Personally, I think I would prefer acid in the eyes -the pain would eventually go away and my eyes heal (3% hcl is not that bad - had it once) rather than seeing Brickie in the tutu. That is mental anguish that will not go away without serious counseling and medications.
                          Last edited by C5dad; 12-29-2010, 10:56 AM.
                          Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                            I don't know which would be more painful, acid splashed in my eyes or actually seeing brickie in a leotard, tutu, and a upward riding cod piece

RT

I don't want to know.......
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
                            X