The reverse build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The reverse build.

Here is a the reverse build of my oven in preparation for a new oven that will live over the top of this base.

I built it as directed from a course I did on pizza ovens, obviously there isnt enough thermal mass on top to retain heat for any extended time.

Its a good learning experience.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: The reverse build.

More pics.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Tear that Mutha Down!

Comment

Brickie, consider the cost of that oven as your tuition to the university of life, and the information gained as hard won knowledge

Is that layer serving as the underside of the dome a cast refractory?

Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
          Is that layer serving as the underside of the dome a cast refractory
          Correct, two 1" coats then 1" ceramic blanket and topped with vermiculite ranging from 2" to 4".

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The cast oven cracked like an Easter egg when I hit it with the large persuader.

The old oven base ready for a make over. Sounds Like a TV show title.

I was really surprised at how much moisture there was in the vermiculite at the rear of the oven.
            The oven has a roof over it plus a concrete cap painted with vinyl paint, I would have thought it was water proof? (The oven was 2 years old so was properly cured.)
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-24-2011, 09:37 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Are you gong back with brick or more castable?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Are you gong back with brick or more castable?
                Im going to build it with clay pavers in a barrellish shape.
                The oven roof will be a low arch front to back with round tapering front and rear.
                The roof will only rise 300mm from the side walls that will be 340mm, all measurements are 'ish

Heres a rough side elevation, the oven will be just over 1M long and 700mm wide x 650 high internally.
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-24-2011, 09:20 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

'Verra nice! Do you think that doming the front is worth the extra effort (obviously you do)?

That is one of the features of the Alan Scott design I am not comfortable with. It may be marginally more effective, but the added complexity is significant for the return in efficiency.

Not so much for you, but for ordinary non-mason builders.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    That is one of the features of the Alan Scott design I am not comfortable with.
                    Hmmm?
                    I had thought that the doming down would help fire the oven better and keep some more heat in the oven.

I could be wrong, whats your thoughts?

I have seen the Alan Scott builds and they disgust me, they dont even bond the arch dome in? Why wouldnt you bond the arches in?
                    Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If you are looking for the efficiency of a pompeii, the inner arch should be around 410 (650*0.63) for the heated volume capacity.

As for the AS ovens, I always wondered about that as well - it really does not make sense.

CW
                      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

It just seems to be an unnecessary complication. Coming in square seems to work just fine and the air current forms a roll in that space anyway, so it may be counter-productive.

Comment

Depressing pictures - until you get to the last one of that beautiful, clean base ready for a new WFO!

I do not understand the "doming down" at the front of the AS designs either. My past experience has been with building and using high-fire ceramic kilns, both gas and wood fired. Larger pottery kilns are usually rectangular inside and heat quite evenly throughout - even in the corners. The downdraft design of these kilns functions in a similar manner to the low opening height of the Pompeii WFOs which is a critical design component for efficient heat retention.

I believe that a vertical front on a barrel arch (maintaining the height of the arch right up to the flue structure) should be every bit as efficient as the dome-down variety and much easier to build. Probably improved structural soundness, too.

Keep in mind that I am a newbie to the WFO world and am still learning about these things. Can't wait to have my own WFO!

Comment

Brickie, there is nothing like a clean start, knowing what you know NOW.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

OK Ill do a straight forward barrel then with no doming down, much easier.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X