Trade secret number 26871.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade secret number 26871.12

When cutting bricks on a wet saw the pencil mark will be very quickly washed away by the spay from the saw.

Instead use an old aluminium (or how ever you lot spell it ) knitting needle to mark your cut, it wont get washed off.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Trade secret number 26871.12

Or a red crayon carpenters pencil, which I give away by the thousands every year. PM me an address and I will send you some, Brickie, as well as some line blocks.

Edit: and our calendar. We still have scantily clad ladies with power tools on ours.
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 01-25-2011, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Owwh cool, I love trying new and different tools.. Thank you very much. PM sent.

We are very limited for tool variety here at the end of the earth, and it costs about 4 times what you guys pay for it.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Much truth to what you say about the aussie tool issue. A couple of months ago I sold several new/old model power tools on ebay. I never ship internationally because of the hassle. A guy on vacation in Orlando contacts me and offers full US retail price for 2 of them and asks if he sends prepaid shipping labels to Australia, would I sell them to him.
        I did, he eliminated the high cost and hassle of shipping for me. his total cost was exactly double the cost we pay at any tool house or home center in the US, and he was thrilled.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
          and he was thrilled.
          I recently bought a Makita chain mortiser off the internet, retail in Oz $3000.
          The internet price delivered was $1400.

The machine was made in Japan, shipped to the UK, sold on the internet (to me) then sent to Oz and was still less than half price, last time I looked on a map Japan was way closer to Oz than the UK.

I dont get it?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Is it import tariffs, personal property tax, sales tax, or a combination of the above?
            Really sounds shamefull. I couldn't survive without all of my tools and I don't think I would own many if I lived in OZ, based on my income history. How does the average tradesman do it? Everyone make DR. or lawyer salaries?

RT

Comment

There is import duty plus GST of 10%, that alone would make the chain mortiser 20% dearer.
              Still way under half price.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

And don't forget the huge mark up made by the distributors.
                They treat the buying public as morons with no sense of value.
                I bought a Husquarna commercial chainsaw from a web page of a large seller in California for less than half of the cheapest I could find in Aus. My nephew bought it back for me for free in his luggage (a separate case for the motor), the cutter bar, spare chains etc in his luggage.
                I also but Snap-on tools and carving chisels from the States for much less than they are available here.
                You must also however, be very aware of the sometimes exorbitant postage fees from the states.

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  ...and our calendar. We still have scantily clad ladies with power tools on ours.
                  You MUST be a Snap-On dealer
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Tom,

Trade ya a D & B Foods Calendar (of same content) for one of yours and a pencil!

John

Comment

Sure thing, PM me the address.

Comment

Thanks for the tips....Found some red carpenter's pencils then marked and cut some dome bricks today....The red stayed on enough for the cuts
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Brickie, I have your toys assembled, are there any small tools you can't get like tuckpointers, jointers, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            Brickie, I have your toys assembled, are there any small tools you can't get like tuckpointers, jointers, etc?
                            Im good for most things, Ive seen the round spoon jointers they use over there and they dont appeal to me one bit sorry, they sell the Marshalltown ones here.

Tuck pointers? Small trowels, or like this? Either way Im good.

Ill send you (Pm me your address) a round jointer that Ive fallen in love with made from perspex, it is the best Ive used for 30 odd years of laying.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I get new "improved" tools to try, I will send you a couple of those so you can throw them away. I sell persplex jointers, we have a lot of white masonry here.

Comment

Working...
                              X