Danger, don't do this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Danger, don't do this.

My suggestion would be to use a CO2 fire extinguisher and keep the nozzle back from the opening such that the rapid chill of the expanding gas would not crack the WFO. Let the draft of the fire suck the CO2 in and kill the fire. One could extinguish the fire and not hurt the WFO.

We have a CO2 for use in the the house should we ever have a chimney fire. We keep our home chimney clean but I believe in safety and redundant systems...there are two dry chemical fire extinguishers up stairs in addition to the CO2. Also more at ground level but we live and sleep upstairs at the present. Dry chemical extinguishers are cheap and effective but make a huge mess.

Hope this helps,
    Wiley

Comment

My wife has a vintage Ford Bronco that she drives in the summer... had a steering column fire at the mall and a good samaritan stopped and put it out with a dry chemical extinguisher... saved the truck, took me a month to get it cleaned up.. and i now have a fire extinguisher strapped to the roll bar.

Comment

I agree with the comments about the extinguishers. I would add that using a dry chemical extinguisher around food is bad unless it is specifically rated for such. Dry chemicals are great extinguishers but a terrific mess. Keep a CO2 handy.

I would only use the CO2 extinguisher if I needed to get back into it immediately otherwise I would just put the door on and let it smother. It is only a problem if you open it back up while it is superheated since once it cools it is not a problem.
        Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

This is an interesting thread. Does anyone keep a fire extinguisher permanently out by the pizza oven? I don't but it seems like a good idea...
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I've never felt I needed an extinguisher near the oven, even when I truly scared myself with a couple of fires, I felt the fire was contained enough and there were no combustables nearby. That said, if the need ever arises I have a hose bib and garden hose just a few steps away.
            The CO2 extinguisher seems to be the best course - no chemicals to clean up afterwards and no water saturation from the garden hose. Now that I think about it, I may run out and buy a CO2. I've been down the road of water saturation and don't want to go there again...even to save the neighborhood.

RT

Comment

Don't drink Everclear and cook pizza at the same time
              Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I don't see a strong need to keep an extinguisher for the oven as it is pretty well contained. Don't ever spray a garden hose directly in your hot oven as it will cause a steam explosion probably worse than the previous discussed backdraft and possibly damaging your oven and/or you. (fyi water expands 1700 times when converting to steam and has the power to move locomotives). While I haven't tried adding steam for baking bread it only takes a very small amount (garden sprayer or spray bottle) to accomplish the goal.

The only likely problem I can see is trying to remove hot coals and dropping them on a combustible material in which case the garden hose makes the best sense. When would you need to extinguish your oven fire vs. just letting it burn out or closing the door?

With all this said, a CO2 extinguisher along with a handy garden hose certainly adds an extra level of security and peace of mind.

As to the Everclear - never use it to extinguish anything other than your good senses. Makes for good youtube videos as well.
                Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Working...
                X