This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump

I have used the wheel barrow for all the small to medium batches of mortar, and used a small mixer for larger pours. Found out the hard way a few years prior while building a water feature in the back yard. I could not keep up with tooling and mixing by myself. I had to enlist my neighbor (unwillingly) to keep the mixer going while I worked the batches. I did purchase a small mixer from Home Depot for around $300. and I think I have more than gotten my monies worth out of it. Only problem is the storage of it, but it is really handy when you are working alone. One tip I read in the forum when mixing the refractory mortar and setting the hearth, I used a tablespoon of sugar in the mix which did slow down the cure time and gave me plenty of working time. The Masons mix for the brick setting was plenty creamy and had a long working time as long as it stayed cool in the shade.

Comment

just mixed up 15 80# bags of concrete... in an Odd Job bucket... with my son... in 100 degree heat! Everything went great!!!
      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

100 degree heat! ouch! I used my easy up canopy from my kart racing stuff to tent over the oven and work area and it kept things pretty cool.

Comment

This is my first post to Forno Bravo, does anyone know how to change your user ID? Anyway, I purchased a yard of concrete from my local landscape supply place for $90/yrd and pulled in their trailer behind my truck. With my son's help we purchased, poured, and finished the base in 2 1/2 hours. That's got to beat hand mixing and probably about the same price. I did it again to pour the block cores (Asked for them to mix it wet) and the hearth slab. It was a little harder when you have to shovel to the top of the slab. This was a huge time saver for me.

Comment

We have mini mix in Australia. I needed 0.4 of a meter (about half a yard) for a concrete hearth. I was going to mix it in my mixer that I own, but it was almost as cheap after buying the stuff to make the concrete and less of a hassle. It cost me $184.00 and I didnt have to spend the time mixing it and it drying out in the mean time.

Comment

By a 2-3 cubic foot electric cement mixer for $250 or so.

Hours of enjoyment. Become popular with friends and neighbors. More fun than a seadoo.

Comment

I'm ready to purchase an electric concrete mixer and have looked at a few models, on-line and in stores ($400-$700). In addition to my planned oven build I have several on-going projects around the house where the mixer will definitely come in handy. I've been mixing concrete in the wheelbarrow for many years and now I'm tired.
                I've looked at tri-support mixers and the low profiled ones on large wheels that can be wheelbarrowed. I am unsure as to which type is more practical for general residential use. Thoughts?

Thanks!
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I am looking at the Lowe's unit. It is about $300.00 here. I have other projects coming as well. I think Harbor Freight has them also, but the Lowe's unit is about the same price and has long legs. I am thinkning a few blocks under the frame will raise it up enough to mix and pour rignt into the hearth form... Labor savings sounds like it will make the unit worth buying
                  Columbiana, Alabama WFO Build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/o...bama-7837.html

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHead View Post
                    I am looking at the Lowe's unit. It is about $300.00 here. I have other projects coming as well. I think Harbor Freight has them also, but the Lowe's unit is about the same price and has long legs. I am thinkning a few blocks under the frame will raise it up enough to mix and pour rignt into the hearth form... Labor savings sounds like it will make the unit worth buying
                    Hi,

I have not seen the Lowe's unit.....planning on looking at it this weekend. It is not on their website although I called my local Lowe's and they said they have some in stock.
                    Is the one you looked at come with the poly drum? Is it a wheelbarrow type?

Thanks!
                    George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Although it's a little more than I wanted to spend I just ordered a Kushlan 600W mixer from Home Depot. I originally scratched this mixer off my list due to the high shipping cost (almost $200). I had just planned on picking up a generic mixer locally.
                      Home Depot is currently running free shipping deals on web orders so I decided to pull the trigger on this extra capacity, wheelbarrow styled Kushlan mixer.

I've got lots of slabs to pour in sections for my current patio project so this mixer should come in handy.
                      Last edited by fxpose; 10-09-2009, 11:28 AM.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

I rolled around the odd job bucket yesterday to mix up two 80# bags. Barely noticed the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
                          I rolled around the odd job bucket yesterday to mix up two 80# bags. Barely noticed the effort.
                          I don't have level ground anywhere on my property to do this.
                          George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Fxpose,

Even better! Roll down hill. We have a circle that we call the flat spot, about 30' in diameter. For many years it was the only flat spot on the land.

Comment

Man, where do you buy those things. Seems like such a simple and clever idea. I would add "spokes" on the ends and insert a fork on a long handle so you can push or pull it around without leaning over, but that's just me trying to improve an already nifty idea.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Keith,
                                I looked ALL over when I wore out my first one.. Spent way too much for TWO more on line, then I think I found them at Menard's later ( for less)

The lid could, seriously, be re-engineered. But, if you keep it clean and are gentle with it, it can mix many tons of concrete for you -- with very little effort.

L.

Comment

Working...
                                X