X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• papavino
    replied
    Re: Concrete by the wheelbarrow, mixer, trailer or pump

One of my friends who is helping me build my foundation was able to get one from his work for the weekend. Total cost: $0.

I owe him a pizza or two when all is said and done...

Leave a comment:

• larrya1049
    replied

Hi Monte thanks for the reply. I was able to get a local company to hand mix it for me on site. Since it was just yard the guy didn't even want me to rent a mixer and he did a great job.

Regards
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Monte
    replied

Larry, we have sold some in Florida. There is United Rentals in West Palm Beach, and Brevard U-Cart in Coco Beach. Are any of these close to you?
    Monte

Leave a comment:

• larrya1049
    replied

It's hard to believe that we are in hard times. I've been calling around the last few days trying to find somebody that will come and pour my slab for me. I have it all formed out and the metal is in all they have to do is pour about a yard of concrete. I'm now faced with the prospect of getting a pallet of concrete from Homedepot and renting a mixer. Monte I would be curious if your company has sold any Cart-Aways in the southeast florida area. Please let me know since this seems like it might be a better solution.
    Thanks
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Monte
    replied

I work for the company that builds the little concrete trailers (Cart-Away). I also have poured many yards with the little 1/3 yard mixers, and out of the big trucks. Then I started with Cart-Away, and now of course I use them. Not because I work there, we manufacture the unites, but we don't make concrete, so I have to buy it like everyone else. But because it is so much easier. I had my own concrete precast company, and I wish I knew about them back then. They are great. If you look in your local yellow pages under ready-mix, you will probably find someone that owns either one of our mixers or our competitors. Good luck with your project.

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
    The solution for us was something called the Odjob Mixer, a rigid and tough plastic container in which you add the water, the bag of concrete (30 kg / 66 lbs), put the lid on, then roll on the ground for 30 seconds.
    I have had one of these for years and it works great for small jobs. Last year I had 10 yrds of sand and 5 yds of gravel delivered and used about 80 bags of portland cement in the front yard. For about the same price ( $50 US) I found an electric cement mixer on Craigslist that mixes about 3 bags worth at a time. The seller even threw in a second motor for it. Given the choice of the Oddjob or an electric....the electric wins hands down for any job over 10 sq ft.

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

George, I'm guessing that the truck comes by and fills the tubs, then leaves!

They then transfer the tub to the hopper and lift for a pour somewhere.

....they definately do a lot of things differently here....

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

XJ - what the heck is that? They deliver the concrete in tubs and you and a friend carry to the site and dump it in? They look heavy!

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied
    spanish concrete delivery

I got a kick out of this concrete delivery method!

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

We mixed the concrete for the foundation in a rental mixer from Home Depot for $40. When the time came to pour the hearth we realized it would be hard to use the same mixer and transfer the concrete up to that level.

The solution for us was something called the Odjob Mixer, a rigid and tough plastic container in which you add the water, the bag of concrete (30 kg / 66 lbs), put the lid on, then roll on the ground for 30 seconds. It mixed each batch perfectly in 30 second, as promised! My husband lifted and poured it himself the first few times, then we switched to a two-person lift & pour that worked much better (more control tipping & pouring). While we got a fair workout, it really wasn't too bad and was relatively quick. That mixer also cost $40 but now we're set if we ever need to mix concrete again and it's very compact to store.

The mixer is available from Lee Valley Tools (they're a top-notch company with really good tools and other great products, have an on-line catalogue and ship in Canada & the U.S., maybe elsewhere too) if anyone is interested in getting one. Definitely better than a wheelbarrow and shovel!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Pannabecker
    replied

My husband and I have mixed 95 80lb bags of concrete in a wheelbarrow for our WFO and BBQ. All we have left is pouring the concrete countertop and bar which will take another 10-15 bags. Who needs a gym membership? Now I'm mixing bucket after bucket of surface bonding cement to cover 550 square feet of outdoor kitchen areas. People say we have too much time on our hands. Actually, we're just too cheap to pay someone else to do the work. Karen

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

I mixed the concrete for my first two cores in a bucket using a hammer drill with a special paddle bit. This sucked bit time. For the rest of the cores I used a wheelbarrow which was much easier. For the hearth slab, I plan on renting a mixer from home depot or one of the other equipment rental places in my area. Hopefully they'll have one that does more than one bag at at time seeing as how I plan on using about 24 or so.

Leave a comment:

• dalucca2003
    replied

To fill my cores I used wheelbarrow and for the hearth I went to a local retailer who sells concrete as needed. They mix and sell concrete down to a 1/4 yard if that is all you need. They then pour into a mixing trailer or non-mixing one with no extra charge for the trailer. I purchased 3/4 of a yard for my hearth and two of us unloaded in less than 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Here in Louisville, we have a company called "Mini Mix" that has a fleet of small concrete trucks. They specialize in 1 to 3 yard loads. I used 1.5 yards for our oven foundation. They even added colorant that I provided.

The truck was small enough to maneuver around our house and down a small hill to our patio. The guy was on-site less than 30 minutes. It was a breeze.

My son and I only had to do the fun part of playing in the concrete. Not lifting, no mixing, no sore muscles. I'll be using them again for the hearth pour.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken524; 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• roundmanone
    replied

I had a friend help me with my slab, with two people a wheelbarrow is easy work. I found that if you use one 80 pound bag of ready mix, mixing was not hard work. The only part that took some effort was moving the bags to the oven location.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X