X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official - Show off your tools.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    no. It's a liquid wax, so it soaks in and you wipe off the excess. But my wood peels are in and out of the oven in a flash. No time to burn, just as long as it takes to get the pizza off. I never use them for turning or removal.
    No neither do I but they still get a bit burnt sometimes when placing.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David, would you share the name of the company that made your metal peel?
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

So it is. Thanks for the heads up.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Here's some photos of the tools I have made. Ideas came from a few different pictures I had seen on the internet.

The wooden pizza peel is made of a central handle of silky oak and the main peel is cedar. Both were old offcuts my father-in-law had laying around under his house. The cedar peel sections are glued and internally nailed to the center handle, so far it has held up.

I'm interested in where you get the wax that butchers use on their wooden blocks.. I was thinking of using some grapeseed oil because that is what is recommended for wooden cutting boards.

Brett

Comment

Good stuff guys. Keep em coming. I need to get some tools myslef as im coming closer to that point in my oven build. Any recommendatios for a newbie? Any links? Thanks
            Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mistertoy View Post
              Here's some photos of the tools I have made. Ideas came from a few different pictures I had seen on the internet.

The wooden pizza peel is made of a central handle of silky oak and the main peel is cedar. Both were old offcuts my father-in-law had laying around under his house. The cedar peel sections are glued and internally nailed to the center handle, so far it has held up.
              Brett
              Those look great...really, really nice work!
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Mistertoy View Post
                I'm interested in where you get the wax that butchers use on their wooden blocks.. I was thinking of using some grapeseed oil because that is what is recommended for wooden cutting boards.

Brett

I guess we are not sposta give product links (?!?) but it sounds like "Dome Hepot"!

Its Carnuba + Beeswax. Food safe.

Now, can you tell me where you got that ash hook on the left in the first picture? Love that!
                Last edited by deejayoh; 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  I guess we are not sposta give product links (?!?)
                  I think it just links to you own business that is against the rules.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Gudday
                    Mistertoy very nice looking tools. if it took a bit of effort it was worth it.

mine a a little rougher but what i have found usefull.
                    fire tools
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	821.1 KB
ID:	293657
                    Log/pan hook, Hearth mop,ash scoop, natural bristle brush Ash rake (handle not shown as burn't and needing replacement)
                    PeelsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0651.jpg
Size:	853.4 KB
ID:	293658
                    Aluminium and the wood one is compressed bamboo
                    Other

Name:	IMG_0652.jpg
Size:	926.4 KB
ID:	293659
                    granite dough board, heavy cutting board and the best pizza cutter on the planet.
                    I pop them in a 20 ltre bucket to keep them organised and out of the way otherwise they get underfoot.

Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ols-18519.html

This thread has some great discussions and pics of tools.
                      Glad to see this discussed with the pics!

Tracy
                      Texman Kitchen
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

So what kind of brushes/brooms do we need? copper? brass? natural bristle? and why? So far im going to need a peel, broom, ash shovel, i have a hoe. Thanks.

Comment

I quit using the broom once I got the hoe tweaked right. I also have a blow tube I use to clean the floor for cooking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                            I quit using the broom once I got the hoe tweaked right. I also have a blow tube I use to clean the floor for cooking.

Ya i saw that blow tube floating around the board. Thats a neat idea, how does the hoe substitute the broom? the hoe wont clean up the ash, right?. On another note how long should these handles be for a 40-42" oven?

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                              Ya i saw that blow tube floating around the board. Thats a neat idea, how does the hoe substitute the broom? the hoe wont clean up the ash, right?. On another note how long should these handles be for a 40-42" oven?
                              Gudday
                              I've tried brooms they just seemed to get charred and the bristle disappear at a fast rate. The flat hoe I have is used for moving coals and ash around in the oven and bringing the excess to the front were a natural bristle brush and steel pan transfer it to a tin bucket. The hoe is made of 3 mm aluminum so it doesn't damage the hearth brick.
                              My preference for cleaning the last of the ash from the hearth is a simple mop made of a stick with strips of cloth wired to the end. Many so that it drops the temp of the hearth . I suppose a full size mop soaking wet might. But a small mop wrung out is nothing the steam produced when it hits the hearth and the fine ash floats off on a raft of steam ... Cool to watch and satisfies the child bride that the hearth is washed and clean.
                              On handle length ... Just start too long and shorten till that particular tool feels right. You end up with differing lengths but what the heck. The metal peels just new so it's to long now it's to get 4 ins off it and we'll see how it goes

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	922.9 KB
ID:	293670
                              The infamous 'hot hoe'
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                                Gudday
                                I've tried brooms they just seemed to get charred and the bristle disappear at a fast rate. The flat hoe I have is used for moving coals and ash around in the oven and bringing the excess to the front were a natural bristle brush and steel pan transfer it to a tin bucket. The hoe is made of 3 mm aluminum so it doesn't damage the hearth brick.
                                My preference for cleaning the last of the ash from the hearth is a simple mop made of a stick with strips of cloth wired to the end. Many so that it drops the temp of the hearth . I suppose a full size mop soaking wet might. But a small mop wrung out is nothing the steam produced when it hits the hearth and the fine ash floats off on a raft of steam ... Cool to watch and satisfies the child bride that the hearth is washed and clean.
                                On handle length ... Just start too long and shorten till that particular tool feels right. You end up with differing lengths but what the heck. The metal peels just new so it's to long now it's to get 4 ins off it and we'll see how it goes
                                [ATTACH]34645[/ATTACH]
                                The infamous 'hot hoe'
                                Regards dave

Got it thanks Dave. So the copper or brass bristles burn off? or where you talking about natural bristles?

Comment

Working...
                                X