Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tile saw Needed or not?

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    Another option! when your cut brick oven is complete, you could send the saw to .........maybe Tochigi prefecture as "scrap" or Australia as "scrap", you would recover some of your costs and the buyer....hint...me..me would get one hell of a deal! Except the trucking, customs clearance fees, port entrance fee, inland freight, and local and federal sales tax ----all would make it a bust!!!!!!!!!!

Got caught importing rice crispies cereal 10 years ago! Did not have a license for importing rice! Cost $800 to unload the container for inspection; and then they gave me the choice of incinerating the cereal or returning to point of shipment. chose incineration--case of rice crispies went up in smoke for $850... $50 covered the price of the cereal through a broker..then had to pay for 3 trucks to bring my building materials to jobsite rather than a loaded container---another $1200.............

Pretty expensive cereal...
    All I wanted was "peanut butter-rice crispy bars"...taste of mid america!
    instead a $2050 bill for burnt crispies...

On top of all that, the next several containers had to be opened for inspection --rather than a customery approval......more costs that lasted through the entire year!

Great to learn about import housing!
    Wow! I guess China is not the only crazy place! Ouch! Luckily there are some importers here in Beijing that try hard to bring in what Expats want. And yes I have seen Rice Crispies here! Even those premade Rice Crispy treats!

Down south I had my own import license but never brought much in with it. Some Australian Red wine and an expensive electric oven and a few other things. But that was in Macao. I'd need a whole new one for the mainland.

Sorry about your costs. But its nearly over now yes?

As for shipping out the saw, hmm something to think on...
    Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
      yes, counter tops.
      They are called "ginko di-e-seki", I don't know the proper Japanese terms but the term means "imitation stone". There are a lot of manufacturers of imitation stone counters in china. Some are very nice and the price is cheap. You might check it out ...they also have precast sinks and all the accessories like faucets, tailpieces, strainer baskets and the works for doing a great looking counter.

the counters come polished and ready to install. I did an installation in Yokosuka, Kanagawa prefecture where the customer purchased all his stuff from China and imported it. Everything came out fantastic. his tops were top of the line and his accessories all worked out great. he is one happy camper!
      I may have a look in some of the kitchen design shops. But I'm already building the forms for a poured top. Was planning to pour my kitchen counter top at the same time as my hearth. All one piece.

Looking at the Outdoor Kitchen posts in the forum made me really want to do the stained concrete top. They look quite nice.

Not quite sure yet if I am going with a gas grill for the BBQ or the traditional style. Not had good luck with gas grills, rusting out etc. My last one was a Meat Master from Australia and it only went 5 years.

I did buy a cast sink already though. It is sitting on the ground out back waiting for a home. Had thought to tile everything, including the sink but I really like the stain idea. Provided I can find the stain!
      Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Don't think about shipping the saw...don't need one.
        Hope you figure out the best way to get a workable oven going for you.
        I have many...many...thousands of dollars worth of tools that are seldom used.
        There must be a craigs type list over there for expats. I'm sure you will find someone who wants a saw for a little less than your cost! All will work out in the wash!

Comment

Craigs list yes, hadn't thought of that. Thanks
          Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

The blade that comes with the saw as you can imagine has gravel in it rather than diamond, it barely cut and slowly at that.

I bought a good one off ebay and it has hardly worn after many cuts.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
              The blade that comes with the saw as you can imagine has gravel in it rather than diamond, it barely cut and slowly at that.

I bought a good one off ebay and it has hardly worn after many cuts.
              For this one they asked me what I would be cutting and what kind of blade I want. So, if they give me something else I will ship it back to them.

Haven't completely made up my mind to buy yet.
              Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Working...
              X