No announcement yet.

Is a variable speed grinder essential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is a variable speed grinder essential?

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    If you are are using crushed glass bottles etc., you will not end up with flat edges to apply to the bands. Again, I used broken colored glass window panes. Maybe, you can find some that is a similar colored to what you plan to seed the top. They may not be a perfect match, but maybe an accent or complimentory color. If you add any aggregate larger than sand, that will make a big difference in the look also.
    The only way I'll get my hands on stained glass is by visiting the local church at night with a brick
    I was considering filling most of the form except the edges and then making up a mix with a high density of crushed glass for the edges in the hope that most of it would stay there! Sound like a plan?
    I'm also going to make up a sample with gravel and see how the aggregate comes through when polished....so far Ive only made sand cement samples and not polished them, just to get and idea for the colour

Comment

Will 4" pads fit on a 9" grinder ok or do I need to pick up a small grinder?
      Thanks

R

Comment

C'mon now that's just silly. Get pads that fit the grinder/ polisher.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by RichC View Post
          The only way I'll get my hands on stained glass is by visiting the local church at night with a brick
          I was considering filling most of the form except the edges and then making up a mix with a high density of crushed glass for the edges in the hope that most of it would stay there! Sound like a plan?
          I'm also going to make up a sample with gravel and see how the aggregate comes through when polished....so far Ive only made sand cement samples and not polished them, just to get and idea for the colour

The bands/edges don't have to be a perfect match for the surface. They can be "contrasting" and still look great!. As far as preseeding the edges is conserned, that is up to you. What ever you come up with will be just fine .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks again guys!

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            C'mon now that's just silly. Get pads that fit the grinder/ polisher.
            Might as well buy myself a 4" grinder then!!

Comment

One more question before I buy guys.
              I'm buying these discs ATS Premium Wet Diamond Polishing pads discs 100mm (4") Granite Marble Concrete Terrazzo 9 piece set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
              Should I buy a rigid backer pad:
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A1INGGQMSQ4FCZ
              or a flexible backer pad
              ATS Flexible Backer pad for 100mm (4") Diamond polishing pads discs QRS hook and loop Velcro: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
              Also, is the M14 the standard fitting size for angle grinders?

Thanks

Richard

Comment

You should get a rigid backer, since you are seeding your form with aggregate. But backers are pretty cheap... Why not get them both.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I wanted to post this in case anyone want to polish material but doesnt have a variable speed grinder.

Router Speed Control
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                  X