firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: firebrick

What about fire clay? Sorry if this is a noob question. I called a local block supplier I know yesterday about brick and asked about high temp. mortor. He said he carries fire clay and I didn't go further with him.

Would you use this to mix your own and if so, how? Sorry to thread jack.

Comment

RT,

I've always had good luck with Charles Papazian "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing". When we were brewing a lot (my wife and I, in college, before kids), this seemed to be the standard all of my friends were using.

Amazon.com: The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Third Edition (Harperresource Book): Charles Papazian: Books
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Definetly a staple must-have for beginner brewers. Hey lays every thing out in an easy to understand way that anyone can get going.

Looks like we're following eachother around the site mfiore,haha

Comment

Originally posted by reefman View Post
          What about fire clay? Sorry if this is a noob question. I called a local block supplier I know yesterday about brick and asked about high temp. mortor. He said he carries fire clay and I didn't go further with him.

Would you use this to mix your own and if so, how? Sorry to thread jack.
          I am newbie too and have the same question about fire clay, anybody experienced can enplane what it used for?

Comment

Originally posted by kerimh44 View Post
            I am newbie too and have the same question about fire clay, anybody experienced can enplane what it used for?
            It very simply is the clay that is used for making high temperature items like firebrick and crucibles...it has a higher percentage of silicon and aluminum oxides and fewer calcium, potassium and sodium oxides...when you mix it with standard mortars comprised of portland cement, lime and sand it creates a similar chemical compostition to that of the firebrick you are using to construct the oven/furnace/fireplace, etc...
            Hope this helps!
            Best
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

thank you I found here fireclay in 1 gallon buckets (kind of liquid inside ) I did not open it, would I buy it and add cement?

Comment

You should be able to get powdered fireclay in bags from your local brick supplier...you may also find that they may have HeatStop which is a premixed refractory mortar...if they have the heatstop I would recommend it but if it is too costly or not available the fireclay should be around and not too expensive...with the fireclay you would mix 3 parts sharp sand to one part of each fireclay, hydrated lime, and portland cement to create a good refractory mortar
                Best
                Dutch
                "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thank you still looking for dry clay can't find yet.

Comment

Do you use firebricks for dome of the oven I read that people use it only for floor but highest temperature on the dome?????

Comment

Kerimh44,
                      You should be able to get the fireclay from a local Pottery Supply Shop. It comes dry, in bags similar to concrete products.
                      Yes use fire bricks for the dome and the floor.
                      Cheers,

Comment

Do you use firebricks for dome of the oven I read that people use it only for floor but highest temperature on the dome?
                        Yes, you use firebricks for the dome, which is a higher temperature and stress area than the floor. In some places firebricks are expensive, but they are cheap in the US and there is no reason to use inferior materials for your dome.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I am slowly getting ready to put an oven together in NW Austin, so thank you for posting this. Dr D.

Comment

Anybody knows what is the difference of using fireclay v's refractory mortar??? Please

Comment

Fireclay is a component use in manufacture of fire brick and ceramics and has a fusion point greater the 1600 deg C. Refractory mortar is used to bond fire bricks together. Just like regular mortar but made with components to withstand high temps.

Comment

Fireclay is just one component of refractory mortar. It needs to be mixed with lime, sand, and portland cement. It makes a refractory mortar of good quality.

Premixed refractory mortar (like Refmix or HeatStop) is just that, premixed. You just add water. It's great stuff to work with, but can be quite costly.

Either will work. Cost, availability, and convenience are factors to consider.
                                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                                My oven build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X