firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: firebrick

As far as I understand to build the dome refractory mortar has to be used but for oven floor it is possible to use fire clay.??

Comment

the dome refractory mortar has to be used but for oven floor it is possible to use fire clay
      The fireclay/sand mixture is a leveling medium for the floor, if you use vermiculite concrete as your under-oven insulation. You don't even have to mix it with water, you just set the floor bricks down on top of it. If you use an insulating board which has a flat surface, you just set the bricks down directly, as i did. There is no mortar between the bricks on the floor.

The bricks on the dome fit closely on the inside, and splay out with bigger gaps on the outside. The mortar, whichever you use, fills these gaps as well as adhere the dome together.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thank you dmun you said The mortar, whichever you use, does it means it is not has to be refractory mortar?

Comment

The mortar, whichever you use, does it mean that it does not have to be refractory mortar?
          Yes, your mortar needs to be heat resistant. You have several choices for heat resistant mortar. You can use a commercial dry mix, like refmix, or heatstop, you can use the homebrew refractory mortar in the instructions (you have read the instructions?) You can also use just fireclay and sand, like Frances did.

Regular portland mortar will deteriorate and drop aggregate on your oven floor, and whatever's cooking there.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Daniel,

Best Masonry carries the Butler low-duty firebrick. They are around $1.20 ea.
            (713) 413-9900‎
            14702 Jersey Shore Dr

-David
            -David

Comment

Working...
            X