Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vermicucrete above or below Kaowool

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    Hey, I just noticed, I'm master builder now!!! Wow, when did THAT happen??!
    It's going to cost James a bunch to ship that flour to you. Keep up the great cooking. I need inspiration
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

Aww, thanks guys... I'm touched
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        The vermiculite concrete is about a quarter the price of high-tech insulating materials. It also fits into cracks and voids, and forms a smooth surface, which the overlapped blanket does not.
        dmun, in my nick of the woods vermiculite is almost $38 per 3cu ft bag - you'd probably need at least two bags of this stuff, plus the cement. So at around $80 it's only marginally cheaper here than the carton of Kaowool blanket, which I bought for under $100...

In fact that was the second of two cartons I bought - one was $120! - so I could put TWO layers of blanket around my 39in dia. dome, plus some extra over the top.

For good measure, I also placed chickenwire supporting two thick layers of vermiculite concrete squeegeed over the blanket... When this layer dried out, it made a handy shell for the twin coats of cement render (stucco to you, I believe).

With all that insulation, the outside IR temp measured 50 degrees centigrade (amid 27C ambient temperature) this afternoon on top of the dome when the inside temperature of the dome top measured 384C (about 729 F)!

So I'd say: if you can afford the extra few quid, by all means put on 2in (50mm) of fibre insulation, then perhaps as much again in vermiculite concrete, for a cool oven (on the outside, that is: I managed to burn a load of rolls badly today because I didn't wait for the damn dome to cool down a bit :-)

Cheers,

LMH
        "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Sometimes its just a matter of finding a better supplier for the vermiculite. I paid $35 a bag for the first three, then after exensive searching found a place that sold it for $17.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
          X