Tile saw for cutting brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tile saw for cutting brick

Hmmm i need one too ill look into this one.

Comment

A new HF opened up last week in Worcester, MA. I picked up the HF tile/brick saw for $180 (sale price of $199.99 minus 10% grand opening discount). The grand opening flyer coupon is good through July 1.

Comment

but what about in the uk what would you use any thoughts? cheap

Comment

And what about in Australia? This is what Bunnings have to offer: Looks like it might be the type that gets you messy with every cut?

450W RYOBI? Wet Tile Cutting Saw (180mm) (ETC450) - Bunnings Warehouse
          JT
          Willetton, Perth
          Western Australia
          My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

That was the type I used. It did get a little bit wet, and I did have to cut each brick twice... cut one side, flip it over, cut the other; but it was certainly better than nothing, and since I had borrowed the tool from a friend the price was right. I had to temporarily modify the blade guard, which normally keeps the water from flying. If you remove it to allow the brick to pass, water sprays everywhere; so I remounted the guard on a flange that would allow the brick to fit. It kept most of the water in place.

If you want to do precise cuts, the other type would be better; but for me , this worked fine. If I were doing more than one oven, I would definitely invest in another saw, but for a one-off project, it was all I needed.
            -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Give a rest with spam will you.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by cynon767 View Post
                That was the type I used. It did get a little bit wet, and I did have to cut each brick twice... cut one side, flip it over, cut the other; but it was certainly better than nothing, and since I had borrowed the tool from a friend the price was right. I had to temporarily modify the blade guard, which normally keeps the water from flying. If you remove it to allow the brick to pass, water sprays everywhere; so I remounted the guard on a flange that would allow the brick to fit. It kept most of the water in place.

If you want to do precise cuts, the other type would be better; but for me , this worked fine. If I were doing more than one oven, I would definitely invest in another saw, but for a one-off project, it was all I needed.
                Hi there

When you say you removed the blade guard, did you mean that you also removed the mounting bracket to which the guard is fitted? I wouldn't mind seeing how you mounted a flange that still allows the brick to pass - having trouble envisaging a solution, as I am having to do four cuts to get a brick in half right now.

Thanks

JT
                JT
                Willetton, Perth
                Western Australia
                My build: http://woodfiredovenperth.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by jab49 View Post
                  Hi there

When you say you removed the blade guard, did you mean that you also removed the mounting bracket to which the guard is fitted? I wouldn't mind seeing how you mounted a flange that still allows the brick to pass -
                  JT
                  I don't know if I have any pictures of the mount... I'll look through my files and get back to you. I can say that yes, I did remove the mounting bracket and replaced it with one I had rigged which was long enough to reach over the height of a brick. I used a piece of thin sheet steel about 3/4" wide and 4" long, with holes drilled at each end for the mounting screws. It was crude but simple and effective.
                  -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Working...
                  X