Cutting refractory bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cutting refractory bricks

I can't seem to able to open your file. Is it a photo of the operation of cutting a 45 degree in a fire brick. Would you be able to supply a short written description of the technique.

thanks
    ined

Comment

its a mpeg4 movie. should be able to open it in quicktime player...

try this one:
      QUICKTIME MOVIE:http://hypertec.com/CIMG1790.MOV

Last edited by toddj; 08-17-2008, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Todd,

Forno Bravo has a YouTube "Group" where you can join and upload videos for everyone to see. You can even embed your videos in your FB posts.
        YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

This makes it a lot easier for us to watch your videos.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Cool.. thanks Ken, i will upload it there...

Comment

Cutting is easy - Worry not - I use an old skill saw (afraid dust would ruin my new one) with $15 blade to cut bricks and blocks of all types. Make sure you buy a metal blade not the cheap composite ones. I also have an angle grinder with a metal masonry blade. Love the angle grinder it is better for detail cutting and shaping but slower. Throw in a chisel and you can cut anything. Note for angle grinder the cheap composit cut off blades for metal work great on rebar.

Comment

(afraid dust would ruin my new one)
              The best saw in the world is cheaper than wrecking your lungs. Use a respirator when dry cutting, is my advice.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by shepster View Post
                Ah...good advice.... I've got one of those! Just off to get the blade......
                Shepster
                Shepster, I know exactly what you mean. I've read a number of the posts and I am pleased someone mentioned using an angle grinder. Thats what i'll be doing. Mine is a 230mm, I bought a diamond blade for it on the weekend off ebay ?5.00. bargain really. Tested it out earlier on some engineering bricks, cuts pretty sweet.

Good luck.

Comment

Angle grinder is great - you can take the guard off to make it more manuverable. I first saw this being used by a tile contractor. You can also use the grinder to make curves. It works like a sander or hey A GRINDER! I still use an old skill saw for straight cutoffs. It is much faster and the blade cuts all the way through.

Comment

Thats all great but a friend of mine just cut through the tendon of his big toe with one so I am now opting for the hire option with a table saw.
                    One weeks hire ?112 plus ?140 to buy the blade and plus vat! I know its expensive but so are accidents!!! I am also a bit of a chicken!!

Comment

Why are your good blades ?140 when my good blades are $30???

Comment

Good point! They are from a US company, Norton Abrasives. Never mind we do have free medicare!

Comment

Shepster: are you doing a lot of correct cuts or do you just want halves and quarters? If you only want the latter, I bought a 7" wet tile saw that'll score the bricks for breaking: it was ?50 - you're welcome to borrow/steal it for as long as you need.
                          Matt S, Cambs, UK
                          42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Thats a really good offer. I am only doing halves but from following the pompie instructions (!) i thought it was best to have the cut faces inside. Does that follow? I am really interested in your offer. where abouts in Cambs are you?

Comment

Just west of Ely off the A142. The tile saw is no longer in a brand-new condition but was fine for the build.

You can get a so-so cut on the brick doing 1 side cut then a whack with a bolster. It took me a morning to cut 100 bricks which was pretty much enough for the dome. For 1/4 bricks you need to give the brick a lot of prompting where you want the break clean, so you can do 2 or more sides. I was able to make angle cuts for the final courses, but not so well.

I agree with you, a 9" angle grinder with a diamond blade would be flat-out terrifying.
                              Matt S, Cambs, UK
                              42" Pompeii

Pizza oven pictures - WIP!

Pizza oven costs (so far!)

Comment

Clean factory face inside / ugly cut face outside. Outside will never be seen once it is covered in insulation...

Comment

Working...
                                X