Pizza Oven on a Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Oven on a Trailer

The Pivot Stove Company uses this idea. When I started my WFO they had a unit listed on their website:
    Pivot Stove & Heating Company

Their unit was exactly what you are suggesting: two shells, one inside the other and the interstitial space filled with sand. They didn't, however have any insulation over the outside shell!

If one were to go this route I would suggest finding a local foundry and do them a favor by taking their spent casting sand. It is only good for so many trips thru the cope and drag and then it needs cleaning and refortifying with new binder. This is usually not worth the effort or expense and they dump the sand buying new. The sand is quality refractory sand and is one gets lucky one could even find olivine sand (green sand) which is very heat resistant and would be an ideal choice.

Wiley

Comment

I added two more wheels to the carriage of my mobile oven, because there was too much weight on each of the four wheels and the floor of the ute trailer had dented slightly. I did not realise that it has the added benefit of now being able to have the two front wheels airborn so they can easily bridge a small gap between the trailer and its stand. Also note the chains and turnbuckles to secure the oven in position. It all works rather well.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David, I see where the turnbuckles hold the oven base in position. But, what holds the oven to the base? Most of the advice/plans call for no mortar between the bottom row of bricks and the hearth so that the oven can expand and contract with heating & cooling. Not that mortar would be strong enough to secure the load in the event of an emergency stop, but what keeps the oven on the hearth for on a bumpy road, pothole or dip in the pavement?
        I'm not trying to be critical, for what you are doing is obviously working, I'm curious what you did in way of connecting the oven to the base to make it so it works.
        Wiley

Comment

My inner dome was cast in one piece with a castable refractory and sits on the floor which was also cast in one piece, via a layer of sand and fire clay mix. The outer shell holds the whole lot in place and adheres to its aerated concrete base which I ground into with a grinder to give it more adhesion. This outershell is very strong with plenty of mesh (like a ferrocement boat) Lastly a layer of flexible acrylic also adheres this shell to the base. There are no cracks, except a small one on the floor, which is not a problem. Hope you understand my reply. I can roll the oven on and off by myself, using the jockey wheel to adjust the level. I made it as light as I could. It weighs 160 Kgs and I can cook pizzas for up to 30 people ok.

Comment

Yes you are probably right, I should have some straps that go over the top for safety, but I like to live dangerously, so I haven't bothered.

Comment

David - your portable oven is awesome!

Comment

A lot of people are concerned about putting an oven on a trailer. If the oven is built properly, and the trailer is built by a company that knows how to build them there should never be any problems. I have been building trailers for Mugnaini in Watsonville Cal. for two years. We have shipped them all over the country including Canada. These trailers can be seen on their web site or you can email me at gabilanweldinginc@sbcglobal.net, we would be happy to email you pictures of the trailers we have built. Baron

Comment

Working...
                X