High or Low?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High or Low?

Hey George, looking good. That's a lot of masonry. If your outer finish is face stone or tile, you may want to consider just supporting your dome slab on piers, and doing the rest of the structure with metal studs and cement board.

I notice that the sketch-up guy noticed us making fun of him, and ditched the tee-shirt over the long sleeve shirt look.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Tigersmith -- great pics. that is exactly what I plan on. Although it probably will not be nearly as nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        I notice that the sketch-up guy noticed us making fun of him, and ditched the tee-shirt over the long sleeve shirt look.
        He also had a sex change operation...

Time for the new glasses...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

He also had a sex change operation...
          Time for the new glasses...
          If that's sketch up gal, she's looking awfully butch in her jeans and tee shirt.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
            If that's sketch up gal, she's looking awfully butch in her jeans and tee shirt.
            I think the hair and feminine attributes definitely take the masculine theory off the table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	deck girl.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	274105
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

I love it.

But I'm thinking the base could be made into a wine cellar. Honestly!

I used to spend time up at Afton mtn vineyards and talked with Tom repeatedly about his dream for a manmade wine cave - he finally built it!!! You can too!

It is a daunting amount of masonry but if you want it bad enough you can do it - what about going 90 degrees from the house vs across the back of the deck? It might make access to the wine cellar easier.

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil View Post
                Tigersmith -- great pics. that is exactly what I plan on. Although it probably will not be nearly as nice!!!
                Hey Virgil,
                I had originally planned to face the whole project with faux stone till I priced it. This would have more than doubled the price of this project. I think now I will do it partially in stone and the rest in stucco. Time will tell.

The idea of a wine cellar under the oven is an interesting idea, though mine would be a beer cellar. I have become rather fond of rich, high octane Belgian beers.

Later

George

Comment

Stone veneer products can be really expensive, but poke around Craigslist and keep your eyes open for opportunities. I found a local manufacturer who makes beautiful faux stone veneer for $4/sf (including corner pieces). He had over 500sf of overage from a large order, and sold me all I needed for $2.50/sf. It still adds up, but it can be done for a lot less than I thought, and it's easy to create a very professional finish.

The plan looks amazing!
                  Nikki

Comment

Working...
                  X