web analytics
Type of vermiculite - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community



Dome Installation Video - Casa / Premio / Modena


For many of you who bought a modular oven, you may have asked how we put the domes together when we build them. For those of you considering one of our ovens, we shot a video to make your install easier.

Check it out on our You Tube Channel.


If the link doesn't work, simply go to You Tube and type Forno Bravo Channel. The video title is How to Set your Forno Bravo Oven Dome Pieces.

Thanks for participating in our Forum. We will have more video content available soon.
See more
See less

Type of vermiculite

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Type of vermiculite

    I am probably overthinking this but......
    I can get vermiculite from our masonry supply house for $14.00 per 4cuft vs$32 for the same amount at Agway. Agways is hortacultural grade and the masonry vermiculite "is for filling cinderblcks" that was the best I could get out of the person at the supply house. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go with the $14.00 vermiculite. Unless they have soaked it in ddt I can't see a difference. Because of all the EPA rules and standards they have today I doubt that the stuff they are pouring in your blocks is going to be anymore hazardouse than what you would put in you garden. Would love to know what you think because I plan on picking up my material for use tomorrow night.
    Also...what can I substitute for fireclay because the supplier doesn't seem to have any and says it is expensive. It's just to be used as a leveling bedd for the floor I believe so there must be something else that people have been using if any.

  • #2
    Re: Type of vermiculite

    The only vermiculite we've been warned off of is the insulation material that's been treated with silicone, as it doesn't absorb water. I don't know what the "masonry vermiculite" is, that's a new one on me.

    If your only use for the fireclay is to level your floor, you can use the same dry mix you use for your firebrick mortar.

    Just as a note, fireclay is easily available and cheap. Call mason suppliers, pottery supply places, refractory dealers, you'll find it. It comes in fifty pound bags and you might not need that much if you're using a regular commercial refractory mortar for your bricklaying.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2


    • #3
      Re: Type of vermiculite

      I am going to check the vermiculite out but now that I think about it the stuff they are using may very well be treated with silicone or the like because the last thing you want in your walls is moisture build up. I think Iam just going to play it safe and use the more expensive horticultural type.
      Thanks again,