Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stucco

Ken,
    Thanks so very much. I will run this by the powers to be and get the stucco on afer we shingle and away we go. By the way....what did it cost you for the metal roof and was it difficult putting up?
    G

Comment

G,

I bought the metal roofing at either HD or Lowe's. Can't remember. I don't think it was very expensive. I used a metal blade in my jigsaw to cut it. The hard part was bending the metal for the caps at the bottoms of the trusses. I didn't have access to a metal bending tool (do they call it a "brake" or "break"?) so that's the only area that looks a bit substandard. They also sell special screws that have built in rubber washer that you use to attach the roofing to your wood or metal studs.

As "make-it-up-as-you-go" projects go... It went pretty smoothly.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

We are tossing that around. The oven is located between mine and my brothers homes and the wood is under a post and beam 14'x20' pavillian looking structure. Because of the proximity we may end up shingling the roof with the same archetectural shingles that we have on our homes so it blends. I wanted to get synthetic slate or tiles but that might be a little too much prep and work.
        As always....thank you,
        Guy

Comment

Always a good idea to match the roof. In our case, the oven roof matches the neighbors' barn roof!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

There's not much stucco in the Midwest. There appears to be a reason for this, although I'm not sure what it is. I don't know if there's no demand for it (climate), or nobody knows how to do it. Whatever the case, there doesn't appear to be an abundance of contractors that are able or willing to do it. That's okay for me, because I like to do everything myself, and it forced me to learn how to do it. Fortunately, I seemed to have a knack for doing it (maybe because it's easy) and it has always turned out well.

The weather has not been detrimental so far for any stucco I've done. Maybe because I've used either fibers or extra sand to control cracking. Time will tell, however.

Comment

Always better to do things yourself if you are handy. at least you know it will be done the way you want it and you get to learn. Found out that Benja,in Moor makes a siding stain that is used on cement products. Not recommended for floors. I spoke to someone that worked for them for many years and he highly recommends it. It is an acrylic opaque stain that can be mixed in any color you want.
              G

Comment

That stain is just the ticket. I think you'll be very pleased with its performance. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

We certainly will let you know. Got the roof on and paper. got the fire up to 600 degrees. One more cure and pizza here we come. How long does it take you to get your oven up to pizza temp?
                  Guy

Comment

Working...
                  X