Tile saw (brick saw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tile saw (brick saw)

I think you'd be fine with that, but I have no experience here, I'm still building my own. I have my bricks with the 4.5 by 9 inch base up, most builders do. Have you thought about running your bricks in the floor on with the 2.25 by 9 inch face edge up?

Chris

Comment

Yes, I even laid them out just to see but I'd have to buy more brick and I already have so much used brick. And the thing is, laying them on their side like that will make them just about the same as putting two bricks together.

Anyway, I was trying to avoid buying more brick!

How about using the fireclay between the two layers? Or maybe someone can answer this question - with the normal single layer of bricks - no extra thermal mass - how long will the oven stay at about 450 dgrees?

I have absolutely NO experience with any of this, in case you haven't noticed - basically I do all those domestic type things in the house and try to leave the "guy" work to the guys - but you know, sometimes when you want something bad enough, you just have to do it yourself! I have a large family and so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen cooking (I can't claim the laundry because thankfully, at the moment, I have one kid in between school and ...wherever her interests lead her...which is in the laundry...heh heh heh)

So I appreciate everyones advice!

Cecelia

Comment

The insulation plays as big or bigger a roll as the thermal mass in any oven. I'm not a bread baker so I will stop there. I do a lot of roasting, but am not concerned with maintaining a specific temp for a specific time frame.
        As for the fireclay between the brick layers, you probably won't need much if you level the first layer properly. I would run the pattern of the top layer of bricks perpendicular to the first layer, seems like it would help with stability and leveling (at least in my feable mind).

RT

Comment

Mass is mass. I think anything inside the insulation envelope will heat up and hold heat, and you don't really need to worry about the thermal convection between layers of mass.

I wouldn't use any more of the fireclay mixture than you need to get a level surface.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well, with the bottom layer of brick (the old ones) I have them laid out staggered - you know, like a brick wall flat on the ground. Then I will do the herringbone pattern on top of that. The old bricks are bumpy and not near as perfect as the new brick, so there would be small gaps and stuff, but level as a whole. My insulated hearth is nice and level...and in some places six inches thick!!!

Comment

I'd go with the sand between the floor layers and not worry about if the sand is going to insulate. You need to get the working floor level. I don't think that the amount of sand that you'll need to level will isolate the heat to a great degree, any more or less than anything else. Once you get the rest of the oven built, insulate to retain the heat in all of that thermal mass, and you should be very happy.

Chris

Comment

By sand, do you mean sand and fireclay? I think if just sand works, why not? As long as it doesn't slide out - someone on here said they'd just "caulk" around the floor to keep it all in place while building....

Thanks!
                c

Comment

I thought about the fireclay / sand mix and thought that, over time, whatever you put between the floors will migrate down into whatever void is found. I also thought about the fireclay mixture and thought it might be tougher to level than sand. If you try to use a wet mixture, I think you'll fight to get your level before it drys. The key, in my mind, is to do your very best to get those voids filled before putting the second floor in. I'd still use the cardboard to set a gap between the wall and floor. The thought here is that if you're soldiers are not on top of the floor then there is a bit of expansion independence there. Remember, I'm just making my best guess here and from everything I can glean from the forum, these ovens are infinitely forgiving.

Chris

Comment

I'm planning on building the dome on top of the floor...although in my mind's eye, it seems like I'd get more space building around the floor. AAAARG! I want to post pictures

My insulated hearth is nice and level...the old bricks are kinda bumpy here and there, rounded corners, old chuncky mortar. SO I should lay sand down and tap those into place, fill any gaps with more sand, then lay down the new bricks for the oven floor?

I was thinking that I would make a round template, as large as I can get, still allowing for the walls, insulation, etc, and allowing for the opening and vent .... setting it on top of the floor and going around it with the soldiers.
                    How many inches should be allowed for the actual vent - not the opening of the door, but from the oven wall to the outer edeges of the hearth? The length of a brick? Or do I need to know exactly how big of a vent pipe or chimney pipe first?

These are all the things muddling my mind and keeping me from going on to the next step!

Cecelia

Comment

Cecelia,
                      If the bricks are too lumpy grind them or toss them to get the floor them close to flat, then level for the second floor. Between you and I, I'd just put a single, flat, floor and be done with it!

Chris

Comment

By sand, do you mean sand and fireclay? I think if just sand works, why not? As long as it doesn't slide out - someone on here said they'd just "caulk" around the floor to keep it all in place while building....
                        I once knew a man who rented rooms in a large apartment to singles. It was his policy to rent to half men and half women. He said the women keep the men from being rowdy, and the men kept the women from being filthy.

Back to topic. The sand keeps the fireclay from cracking, and the fireclay keeps the sand from shifting.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

ha ha! Got it!
                          Thanks
                          c

Comment

Working...
                          X