Tile saw (brick saw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile saw (brick saw)

Is there a particular manufacturer and or model that people are using to complete their oven projects.

As well, I see some amazing results. Does anyone have a list or suggestion on how to determine the cut angles so that one can avoid using shims?

THANKS

Re: Tile saw (brick saw)

Hey guys,

I moved this to Tools, Tips and Techniques. There should be some good feedback here.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hi Mountainside,

Many of us purchased the low budget Harbor Freight 10 Tile/brick saw:
      http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95385

This thing is sort of the unofficial saw of the Pompeii Oven. With a little patience, you can make accurate and complex cuts with it. Although it's a low budget, Chinese saw, it chugs right along. I cut all my dome bricks and stone veneer for my oven. This past month I cut dozens of porcelain tiles with it for our seating area.

Here are a few threads on the subject:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...-saw-6716.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...-saw-5387.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tand-2462.html
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

You're in Mountainside? I'm nearby, and you're welcome to come over and play with my HF 10 inch wet saw, and see if it's right for you.

Send me a message.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'm sure I'm in the minority around here, but I was NOT impressed with the 10" HF saw at all. It was a pain in the butt to use and the water pump croaked on about course #2 despite my clean-water-only treatment of it. I ended up returning it and spending the extra couple of hundred for a Felker, which is a pleasure to use.

Comment

I used the HF 14 inch chop saw with a masonry blade with vents, the blade and saw came from HF and cost a grand total of less than $ 100.00, I would offer it to you to use, but it is lent to a friend building an oven in garfield... I had a 5 gal pail of water next to the saw to keep them wet, It helps keep the dust down tremendously and cools the blade..

Good luck
            Mark

Comment

If it were a cost-no-object kind of project, I'd look at the rigid:

It's got a self folding stand, laser line finder, it's a neat looking tool. The HF saw is a cheap knockoff on the MK wet saw. Here's a few quotes from a pro flooring forum:

Went to HD to pick up some fuel for my Impulse nailer and looked at the Rigid tile saw. Makes my MK660 look like a Yugo.
              One of my guys owns an Mk (not sure what model but I think it's the 660) and now he's using the Rigid I just bought. I asked him what he thought and how did it compare to his. He's old school and we don't usually agree on tools (he uses a sidewinder, I like worm drives, he prefers to hand pound his nails, I'll use my framer on hangers etc.. but he actually said he like the rigid better, and not because of the size or fancy stuff. He said he just flat out thinks it's a better saw. I haven't used it yet but I suspect we'll agree on this one.
              The main appeal of the HF saw is the price. For a cheap tool it's not that bad. I just did a floor and shower surround for a friend with my four year old HF and it's still going strong.

What don't I like? The table slide on mine pretty much sucks, but I understand that they have improved it.

Comment

I have a HF10, and have had no problems to date. If I had to find a saw today, and had a bit of time, I'd be haunting Craigslist for a 14" saw. In my opinion, the 10" saw is somewhat limited by the 3.5" cut depth. When I want to cut through the 4.5" width of a brick to taper I can't do this on a 10" with one cut. At best it takes two cuts, or many times I just let the last inch of the taper go and let the mortar absorb this angle change. The arch is the best example of where I lust for a 14" saw. To get the bricks just right here, I would really like to take a 1/4" off of one edge and both sides of the brick. This would get the brick 2.25" on the outside of the arch and 1.75" on the inside. All of this said, I don't forsee that I'll use anything but the HF and the oven won't care, and when I get to 1/3 bricks on the dome, the 3.5" cut limit won't be an issue. One more thing, the 14" blades cost more, but should last longer.

My 2 cents..

Chris

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I will look for a 14er, but won't weep if I cannot find one. When cutting the bricks for you oven, did each course have the same shape/ angles so that you could cut a batch of bricks?

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by 130mountainside View Post
                    When cutting the bricks for you oven, did each course have the same shape/ angles so that you could cut a batch of bricks?
                    For the most part, yes. It also depends on how you want to build your oven. Some guys custom fit every SINGLE brick. Others will cut all the bricks in half and start building. I ended up in between the two techniques.

You have to decide which direction you want to go.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Harbor Freight also has this little manual brick cutter for 20.00 - what about that anyone? Or is that just asking for trouble?
                      My neighbor says he has a grinder, that if you use a diamond blade, will work for cutting the bricks. What do you think?

I also have questions on the hearth - I have already gone on and on about it...sorry!
                      I want to have the extra layer of firebrick for extra thermal mass - the thing is that I got all my bricks used, and I bought enough new ones just for the oven floor so it'll be nice and smooth. I thought about standing them on their sides, but then I'd have to buy more new ones, so why not just use the old ones for the bottom layer of the floor? And the dome will be built out of the old ones, too.
                      The question is this: The fireclay/sand mixture: can there be some between the two layers of brick? And some between the bottom layer of brick and inulated hearth? Does there HAVE to be fireclay between the insulated hearth and firebrick at all?

Thanks,
                      Cecelia

Comment

hey cecil,
                        I have the HF brick cutter and used it to cut most of my dome bricks in half.... One good clean shot with the hammer cuts it good.. Also used a 4" grinder.. You can definitely do the whole build with those 2 tools.. get a diamond blade for the grinder and soak the bricks before you cut them to keep the dust down. I also used the HF 15 inch chop saw with a diamond blade, It helps too have the extra stuff, but its not necessary..
                        Most important thing is to not rush...
                        Happy Building
                        Mark

Comment

Thermal mass: I'm not exactly sure why you want it, but the sand/fireclay is just for leveling. If your two layers of brick fit together nicely, you don't need it. Likewise, if your insulation is dead flat, you may not need any at all: I didn't use any.

Using the wide chisel, called the brick set, is an art. It's as easy to reduce a brick to a pile of shards as it is to cut it cleanly. I think the cutting jig that HF sells makes the brick set work more systematic, but it's still a lot of work. You want to spend all day swinging the mini sledge? Better you than me.

Your angle grinder with a diamond blade is a valuable tool, it does things that the wet saw can't reach, but with all forms of dry cutting protect your lungs! Silica dust is bad stuff.

Comment

Thermal Mass? I bake lots of bread...and sell it.

Like I said in my post, I have enough new brick for the floor, and the old fire brick would go under that , since it's not as smooth. I'm glad to hear that, if the hearth is flat and smooth enough, and the bricks sit together, I don't need the fireclay at all.

I figured chiseling the bricks must be an art - I think masonry is an art - Hmmmm.

Ok, well, thanks for your advice!

Cecelia

Comment

Back to the laying of two layers of brick for the floor for extra thermal mass -
                              Can there be the fireclay/sand mixture between the two layers of brick for leveling?
                              Or will that interupt the heat for the extra thermal mass? In my mind it doesn't seem like it would but maybe there is some reason I shouldn't do it?

Thanks,
                              cecelia

Comment

Working...
                              X