Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for Mobile frame for Pompeii Oven

Hey and Whoa!
    First of all - I'm not going to drive with my oven on the highway. I just want to be able to move it around the yard/house as needed.
    Second - the frame is going to be 5X5 ft. with 9 or more legs that every leg is going to get a wheel so all the pressure goes to the ground directly (nothing is holding).
    Third - I am working in construction. My specialty is heavy duty concrete jobs. And where I come from (Israel) we build the house from concrete and we use the wood to put the concrete onto. This is tons of pressure that is put onto the wood which is only 1x4". so doubled 2x4 will be much stronger.
    Fourth - regarding the insulation from the wood frame - it's going to be a layer of 1-2 inches of salt (insulates very well) on top of that there are going to be 2-3 inches of concrete and then I am going to build the oven.
    Fifth - I'm not going to do a house shape for the outside, I am going to keep the igloo shape so that means only 6-8 inches of insulation.
    Thank you very much. I've been enjoying debating with you guys!
    Have a good weekend!!!
    Dvir

Comment

Insulation Correction:
      Fourth - the Insulation is going to be 2 inches salt, a thin layer of metal and then the concrete because the salt absorbs water so it will take all the water from the concrete.
      Again, Have a good weekend!
      Dvir

Comment

Fourth - regarding the insulation from the wood frame - it's going to be a layer of 1-2 inches of salt (insulates very well) on top of that there are going to be 2-3 inches of concrete and then I am going to build the oven.
        Whoa! Stop! Salt is not an insulation! Neither is sand, gravel, broken glass or any of the dozens of things that people try to use! We have one motto here at Forno Bravo: Insulate! Insulate! Insulate!

I really think you need to download our plans and read them carefully. They are the result of actual experience of building hundreds of ovens, as well as hearing about numerous ones that DON'T work.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dvir,
          Would love to see a drawing or pics of your base... Or how you plan to tie it all together ? Have you begun yet or are you still in the design stage... I have seen an oven built on a wood base, but it was not made to be mobile.. You may want to consider using 4 x 4 and some half lap joints. And like EADavis said plywood on the outside.. I would never do it... Im sure it can be done... and you really need to think about a better insulation plan for the base.. If you are going to go forward with this plan, you are going to have enough difficulties and you wouldnt want to have to take it apart to reinsulate... also understand the reason we insulate is for heat retention.. I have no knowledge of salt and its use as an insulator, nor could I find any on the internet,, It may (may) provide enough insulation to keep your base from lighting on fire, but I doubt it will retain enough heat for you to bake a good pizza.... With all that being said... Good luck with this
          Mark

Comment

My oven weighs 1400kgs and was built on a bench with 4 legs of cheap softwood 4x2.
            The concrete was vibrated and at times I have had to stand on the oven and that would add another 210 pounds plus the weight of the forms, wet sand dome inner and tools I have on the bench, If it seemed a bad idea i would have never stood beside or on it believe me. I guess the trick is to design the bench with a lot of thought

Comment

Thank you for the response. If you could show me pictures or explain more I would really appreciate it. Is your oven on swivel wheels? Thanks again, Dvir

Comment

Hi Dvi.
                Have been browsing the posts and found this one, would be very interested to see how you got on with your WFO on a mobile wood frame.
                I am building mine on a wooden frame, not to be mobile, as here in NZ we build with wood all the time, in fact we build concrete buildings on rubber pads (in the earthquake zones) so that when the ground shakes the building does not get a heavy jolt and can absorb the movement.
                Would love to see your build photos and thefinished oven.
                Cheers
                Garth from NZ

Comment

Salt+moisture+heat against thin sheet steel sounds to me like a great recipe for corrosion.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X