Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: San Marzano Tomatoes ... and visit to Naples

Paul,
    I have to give my food mill another try. Summer is coming here in the north, so we will have good tomatoes soon. In fact, here we are getting nice tomatoes already from Sicily -- I think they are hot house.

I feel a poll coming on. Which tastes better:

San Marzano canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes from your own mill?

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

beautiful tomatoes. I love the color. you must have nice soil.
      fb66

Comment

Just found this interesting thread...

I am also heading off to Italy for a holiday (interspersed with pizza research) in May - do you have any recommenations ...apart from da Michele which is compulsory?

I have consulted Reinhart's American Pie book to get some ideas of worthwhile places to visit as a starting point, but any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Will be going to Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence and may pop through Tuscany briefly...
        / Rossco

Comment

Re: Heirloom seeds

Originally posted by DaveHI View Post
          San Marzano Heirloom Tomato Seeds

wonder if these are the real mcCoy or the variant?
          I don't think so. I brought some seeds from Diggers seed savers in Australia and they look just like KiwiPete's tomatoes. Also I find they have almost solid flesh with very few seeds. Probably wh there was such a difference between them and the vine ripened truss toms. They have lots more seeds and not so much flesh.
          Cheers,
          Rosemary

My build so far
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
            Just found this interesting thread...

I am also heading off to Italy for a holiday (interspersed with pizza research) in May - do you have any recommenations ...apart from da Michele which is compulsory?

I have consulted Reinhart's American Pie book to get some ideas of worthwhile places to visit as a starting point, but any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Will be going to Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence and may pop through Tuscany briefly...
            Naples is a den of thieves, dirty and unpleasant (IMO), but if you're in that area you should visit Pompeii and the stunning Amalfi coast. Try Vico Equense where they have the university of pizza, where they sell pizza by the metre, with 3 large WFO's.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Naples is a den of thieves, dirty and unpleasant (IMO), but if you're in that area you should visit Pompeii and the stunning Amalfi coast. Try Vico Equense where they have the university of pizza, where they sell pizza by the metre, with 3 large WFO's.
              Make sure you go to Positano.

There's a WFO restaurant there, right on the seafront, that will blow your mind.

Can't remember the name unfortunately, and that part isn't on the Streetview.

There was also a nice one in Sorrento (where we stayed), I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it - it was 9 years ago - but I'll keep looking!

Comment

Working...
              X