Yeast Quantity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yeast Quantity

Perhaps we should divide this into "dough in a hurry", which is synchronized to an evening meal or firing your oven, and a standard dough, where you have more control over timing and rising.

If we do this, we can put more effort into times and measures for more rapid doughs.

Any thoughts?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
      One day you look up, and your bread is better than anything you can buy -- with the exception of Mary G's.
      For those of us who search ... Mary G's is the holy grail.

J W

Comment

I totally agree. It will undo some confusion (like myself) and hopefully everyone will enjoy their dough making experience.

Comment

All,

Blush, thanks guys. Really, I'm still learning, as we all are.

Dmun,

Consider getting yourself a pain de mie pan (the one with the lid). The French invented this gadget to make perfectly square sandwich bread with practically no crust. And, man, can you slice it thin. You'll find the pans at places like King Aurthur Flour or Williams Sonoma (both pricey) or at better restaurant gear suppliers. I'd be pleased to send you a recipe or two.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

James,
            I definitely agree that information with regard to both options are important...because I am sure many others have had both experiences...planning the pizza night days in advance... and the impromtu "Honey, I invited the so-n-sos over for pizza tonight!" four hours before dinner time!

Dmun
            I meant no disrespect and I wholeheartedly concur with taking the simple ingredients of dough and making the experience sometimes rather sublime...incidentally what part of NJ specifically?...curious because I went to College in North Jersey and still have family there...
            All the best to everyone!
            Dutch

I am looking for pain de mie pan also...have had a couple of people ask about it...a bakery here advertises a loaf "pain de mie" but the don't use a lid...and therefiore it has a crust...I have found some listed as pullman pans with lids but "pricey" indeed.
            Last edited by Dutchoven; 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM. Reason: just saw Jims post
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I wrote this page a long time ago, so it will need some work, but the theory is there.

Let's see if we can develop a good Dough in Hurry recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizz...-inahurry.html
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

David, thank you. I will put your advice to use in my experimentation.

As I think I mentioned in another thread; my dough has always been pretty good (better than any pizza I have had in the US), just lacking consistancy which I think is due to the time constraints and following the original basic recipe to the letter (I have added EVO with good success). I'm been certain I needed to adjust something, but not sure what. I will try your ideas and make dough on Fridays - make Sundays my official pizza day. thanks again.

RT

Comment

Dutch,

Pain de Mie pans and Pullman pans are exactly the same thing, just a language difference. The Pullman term was coined in North America because the pans resemble Pullman train cars and they were used in train kitchens across the continent, probably because they're compact, stack easily and you could put several side by side in a small oven. I can understand the price of the tin lined imported jobs, like mine is, but not the domestic steel versions. There are also French tube pans with end caps in the shapes of hearts, stars and so on, used to make fancy canape breads. The square loaf slices can be cut in simple triangles, open faced or sandwich, for instant canapes. One loaf will make many, many of these.

The standard pan is 13" long x 4" wide x 4" tall. I makes about a three pound square loaf. However, I couldn't pass up a super deal ($25) on a monster five pound pan from a restaurant supplier who had brought some in for a customer who never showed up for them.

Most Pain de Mie recipes are for an enriched white bread, but there are also recipes for percentage whole wheat, but the possibilities are endless. I've made it with fresh oregano or basil or....

I haven't really gotten into the yeast discussion in this thread because other members really have it covered when it comes to amounts, rise times, retarded or not, etc.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

fyi,
                    the "new" recipe calls for 500 g. flour and 20 g. salt
                    that's double the "old" recipe of 10 g.
                    sounds kind of salty
                    i'm new at this but i've had my best results by elimating the rising step and just puttting the dough overnight in the fridge
                    perry

Comment

Originally posted by pizzaziggy View Post
                      fyi,
                      the "new" recipe calls for 500 g. flour and 20 g. salt
                      that's double the "old" recipe of 10 g.
                      sounds kind of salty
                      i'm new at this but i've had my best results by elimating the rising step and just puttting the dough overnight in the fridge
                      perry

I would think the 20g. of salt is for 1000 g. of flour.

Comment

Mixed up a batch of dough for this weekend and made a "triple" batch. I used 1500 g. of flour, 30 g. of salt, 945 g. of water and 6 g. of yeast. The batch did take a bit longer to rise, but otherwise no issues. Now I can't wait to taste the modified dough recipe Saturday night.

Comment

Working...
                        X