Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $5 a Kg for flour?

It's definitely confusing....

I had a similar experience with an Italian "Pizuti" flour - designed especially for pizza making. On reading the label I noticed that it was "0" grade and not "00". The same company produces a "00" flour but it's for making pasta!!

Rossco
    / Rossco

Comment

From what I've read, in the world of Italian pizza flours, one of the main things that Caputo has going for it is consistency. Other 00 flours may approach Caputo quality from time to time, but they can vary from bag to bag.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I guess it sucks to be down under on this topic. Really guys, the Caputo is great stuff. I guess if it ever hits $500 a bag I will be searching for a third mortgage, I won't use AP in my WFO.
        If I am in a lazy mood and make pizza indoors in the electric oven (shame, but YES I still do) the AP flour actually works better than the Caputo. In the wood oven, AP just doesn't do well in 800+ temps (at least not for me).
        $5 for a kilo is not outragious, I can get 8-9 pizzas from that. Think about it, the best non WFO pizza joint near me gets $15 for a pizza with the toppings I like and the pizza is merely "good", so paying 50 cents to a dollar for each terrific crust is not an issue for me. I will gladly pay it.
        I feel sorry for you Aussies, $160 delivered, for a 1 kilo bag is crazy. With all of the ovens you have there, someone sould be importing Caputo or at least one of the other fine 00 flours. All of you need to band together and start your own buying consortium. If you are ordering enough, you will get someone to import it and give you better pricing and terms......at least that is how free enterprise retail is suposed to work.

RT

Comment

Yes it's a real bummer about Caputo and I'm sure that there are plenty of people (restaurants included) that will rush out and buy this product if it's available here. In talking to the person (potential millionnaire!!!) who is looking into importing it, he mentioned that there could be quarantine issues in getting it over here. Australia is free of many pests and diseases that are common around the world and so this sounds like a potential hurdle in getting it here. It may also need to go through some sort of treatment process before it reaches us and it will likely be taxed to death so there could be a few add-on costs to pass on which will push up the final selling price....

Rossco
          Last edited by heliman; 10-30-2009, 06:41 AM.
          / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
            anything that's 00 grade should be good,
            after that it comes down to brand preference

torte (torta) can also mean Bread
            OK now I am really confused. I thought the "00" designation was related to the mill setting (particle size of the finished flour), not whether it was a bread, pizza, torte, pasta, or whatever flour.

Comment

I remember there being a discussion about the difference between Caputo red and Caputo blue and that the red in the 1 kg. bags is not the same as the red in the 55 bag, or was it that the Red in the 1 kg. is not available in 55#? I don't remember the upshot of the discussion, nor where I read it. So is that 55# blue the same as the 1 kg. red? And do the restaurants in Naples get something we just can't? They certainly aren't opening little 1 kg. bags when they make dough. I've experimented with a variety of doughs including K.A. A.P., their mock Italian 00 and other real Italian 00, plus Caputo red & blue and for my tastes & it's extensibilty, Caputo red in the 1 kg. bag is the winner. It would be nice if that 55# blue bag is the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nabber86 View Post
                OK now I am really confused. I thought the "00" designation was related to the mill setting (particle size of the finished flour), not whether it was a bread, pizza, torte, pasta, or whatever flour.
                Yes 00 is the milling size.

00 flour can be used used to make those things is all that means.

The same way that 20W-50 oil can be used for cars, motorbikes, planes, combine harvesters etc... i.e. - you don't buy it as "Car Oil" or "Bike Oil"

but Castrol might market it as such....
                -------------------------------------------
                My 2nd Build:
                Is here

Comment

My Caputo Red came in yesterday and I am going to try some tonite.

Comment

I am prepared to take ANY Caputo I can get

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

I just got some red yesterday. I'm interested to see the difference for myself this weekend. We've used a whole grain recipe, the FB recipe using bread flour, and even the Costco frozen stuff. So far, the bread flour wins (although the whole grain was interesting). We have a whole grain with sourdough starter in it that my wife tasted at a cooking demonstration that we also want to try. But this weekend, it's Caputo.
                      Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Just so I know what I spent my money on, what qualities am I looking for in the Caputo flour? I made some pizzas last nite and I would describe the Caputo crust as "light and nicely chewy" (the chewiness being in a totally good way). Is that what I am looking for?

Comment

I would add that it has great extensibility and a slightly different flavor than most all other flours I've used, such as K.A. all purpose, their Italian mock 00 as well as other Italian 00 flours. The real way to appreciate any difference would be a comparison test.

Comment

Any news on getting the Caputo flour in Australia for a reasonable price?
                            Would love to try it.
                            I found a website in Sydney (Waterloo) selling it for $140 for 25kg bag. With delivery will be about $6 a kilo.
                            Might just have to go for this, there's nothing else out there.

Comment

I contacted about 5 Australin suppliers that looked like they may be likely candidates to stock the product - or get it for me. All responded but said "No" - most had never even heard of it. It is incredible that no one (bar one) has seized this as a fantastic opportunity to become a local supplier of this product. If I was a supplier I would be on the next plane over to Italy and meet the supplier and hopefully arrange some sort of local agency. Perhaps however there are some other issues that prevent its easy importation.

The $140 price (plus $6) for delivery is still a lot, but could be worth it. I followed up and learned that it will cost $140 + $30 for delivery to Perth. I thought of possibly seeing if someone else here wants a bag and with an order of 2 bags we would get free shipping which sounds a bit more reasonable than $170. I am busy wading through a 25 kg bag of another brand of pizza flour at the moment so won't need just yet. I would be interested to know if the massive increase in price translates to $121 more value for you.

Rossco

PS - also sent 2 x emails to the Caputo company via their website asking for details on the Australian outlets. I never received a response from them.
                              / Rossco

Comment

So what is the final verdict on Caputo value for money? Was it worth the $8 /kg you paid for it??

Rossco

Originally posted by Nabber86 View Post
                                Just so I know what I spent my money on, what qualities am I looking for in the Caputo flour? I made some pizzas last nite and I would describe the Caputo crust as "light and nicely chewy" (the chewiness being in a totally good way). Is that what I am looking for?
                                / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                                X