Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

I've been reading Roberto Saviano's "Gomorrah" about the Camorra of Naples and surrounding areas. The final chapter deals with the toxic waste dumping in Naples and Caserta and other Southern Italian towns and cities; how it affects everything from the landscape to the water to the food produced. And the animals which eat the grasses and then produce their byproduct. So I am wondering if anyone knows for certain how the buffalo mozzarella is affected. Is it something we will have to give up? Will other buffalo mozzarella, regardless of its source and quality, (meaning non Neapolitan and therefore not as wonderful) have to become our alternative? Are promises made by Italian producers good enough to believe? I have never heard much good about any other buffalo mozzarella such as that made in Vermont and California, as compared with the Neapolitan. But is it at least still preferable to fiore di latte, cows milk mozzarella if the buffalo is what one wants, prefers? Is this going to be a sad end to a sublime food? The Camorra aren't letting up. No one can stop them. And they don't care about much of anything beyond their own codes and profits. What's to become of any food coming from the area? What of the San Marzano tomatoes?

On a personal note, as one who lived in Naples from 1960 to '63, this is all very sad to read. Difficult to fathom or let in. Italians, Neapolitans especially, are such wonderful people, so full of character and color. It sickens me to read this book. I'd rather they all had a cancer and died that way than they way they already are.

Here's just one article. There are many.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...la-799289.html
    Last edited by KEmerson; 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM. Reason: added a link

Re: Buffalo mozzarella and toxic waste dumping in Naples

An Italian friend mentioned this problem to me - this is a serious concern for sure.

Thanks for posting the reference. It does not bode well for Italy's mozarella producers.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation, particularly whether it can be conducted without interference.

Rossco
    / Rossco

Comment

I was just in Naples less than 6 months ago, and it wasn't pretty. I spent a lot of time in Italy and half of that was in the Naples area in the late 80s. It was dirty and nasty back then, but so was NYC when I returned home. I was shocked 6 months ago because Naples is as dirty as it ever was. NYC cleaned up nicely though. About a year ago I was in Venice and watched on the news about the garbage strikes in Naples. They solved the strike, but looks like they are not putting a high priority on cleaning up the city. Too bad because it could be a beautiful city.

ps: on a side note, back in the 80s when I was there I had to do a number of dives in Naples harbor. The pollution and bacteria levels were so high we had to pack vaseline in our ears to keep the bacteria out. Then when we got out of the water we got sprayed down with a bleach solution. Its not a fond memory.
      http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

This is a worry. I am going to be in Naples in May and whilst I was prepared for some dirt & crime, this is beginning to sound very bad. The potential mozarella contamination issue also kind of makes me question the safety of the products now. I wonder if the contamination extends to their flour as well...

Rossco
        / Rossco

Comment

Yuck ! And I thought the food stuff from EU countries were of the highest quality. Higher than USDA standards. I can understand the situation as a long time resident of NJ.

Comment

Try googling: food contamination Naples Italy -- You should get a page of articles. Wow!

Comment

I had wondered about the flour for a second, but I remember that Caputo flour isn't from wheats grown locally. In fact, I don't know if we really know where the wheat comes from but it could well be American or Canadian. What I am worried about is the San Marzano tomatoes as well as the mozzarella. I read that the buffalo mozzarella is customarily not pasteurized, and that pasteurization of the buffalo milk will make it safe. I can't say for certain, but I am under the impression that non-pasteurized milk products aren't allowed in the U.S. so I don't know what I've been buying. Do they even make any pasteurized mozzarella? And of course, pasteurization doesn't even enter into the equation for the tomatoes, andthe toxic waste affects all agriculture in Campania. I highly recommend reading Saviano's book to anyone considering a trip to Naples. It might not keep you from going but it could cause you to modify your plans once there.

The garbage being dumped is not coming from Naples alone. It is also shipped - illegally, courtesy of the Cammora - from the rest of Italy and Europe and even China. And it is highly toxic, not just household garbage. It's chemicals. Just read the last chapter and you won't look at a city garbage truck the same way again.

Comment

Burnt Fingers: I Googled toxic waste and mozzarella in Naples and found a slew of articles. I wouldn't read any of them before bed-time though. As for EU membership, it was the Cammora whose practices actually helped Italy qualify for membership. It was a bit convoluted - naturally - so I can't really retell how it worked, but it did. Anyone with even a slight interest in Italy needs to read Roberto Saviano's "Gommorah". And the movie won't be enough.This isn't the semi-romantic Mafia of Don Corleone or even Gotti. As one who lived in Naples as a kid, I feel my Italy and my Naples have been raped and burnt to death. These people cannot possibly have any love for their own people, their country, their heritage, their pride, their anything.

Comment

Did a search - much of this info dates back to 2008. I certainly haven't heard about it recently so perhaps the problem has "gone away". The potential for Italian producers on many levels could be catastrophic.

Rossco
                  / Rossco

Comment

There seems to be a difference between the strike, which put tons of Neapolitan garbage in the streets, and the illegal toxic waste dumping by the Camorra. Perhaps the strike was settled and the streets cleaned up - that would be nice all by itself. But I don't yet know that the Cammora have given it up. One of the government operations looking into it was called Operation King Midas because of a taped telephone conversation between members of one of the clans in which it was said that whenever they touch garbage it turns to gold. The toxic waste dumping is a huge income source for them. They have people who are not actually affiliates of any clan, who are paid to search for sites to dump in. Anyplace. Garbage in the streets is just the normal garbage. Which can get pretty ripe and toxic too. But it isn't Dioxin. It isn't tons of printer toner, and a host of other toxins, from Tuscany, Reggio-Emilia, Germany, Spain. And it isn't just tossed in and under and near the fields where the buffalo roam. What the Cammora has done - is doing - isn't part of the strike

Comment

This sounds very ominous indeed...

Does anyone have any more recent (than 2008) info on this like reports, findings and "official" publications?

Rossco
                      / Rossco

Comment

A lot of the garbage strike trash is cleaned up. At least the bags that were but to the street. During the strike the piles were of garbage were 10-15 feet high, they showed video of the rats going through the bags. There was plenty of news coverage of the multiple fires every day, because people started setting the trash piles on fire to get rid of it.

While I did not see any huge piles of garbage, I did see plenty of trash. The streets were all dirty, there was construction debris all over, probably because of the economy a lot of construction projects shut down. naples just had a very dirty feel to it.

But when I drove 30 minutes away, it got much better. Especially as I headed towards the Amalfi coast. That place is still stunningly beautiful. And it has to be one of the best mountain drives I have ever done. That is if you enjoy driving a manual transmission car and enjoy hours of hairpin turns back and forth with mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. Just beautiful!

Going in the other direction from Naples was kind of sad. The sides of the highways were scatter with trash. Every field that is not actively farmed has become a dumping ground for household appliances, vehicles, and trash.

I hope they get it handled soon. But I have my doubts because when you speak to the people they seem to accept it as the way it is and I get the feeling they think nothing can be done about it. I know they do not like it, but I think they feel there is nothing they can do.

Comment

You Tube has a few videos of the garbage from a year, two years ago. YouTube - Naples garbage crisis
                          I've seen the resulting pile up of garbage during a hauler's strike in NYC, but New York has nothing on this mess.
                          And I too would love a good update on the present situation. And the status of the foods coming from the area.

Comment

I remember one of the strikes in NYC. I was living in the Bronx and my friends and I, being young kids, thought it was cool to pull the bags of garbage from the sidewalks and block the streets. That escalated because in the beginning they would send garbage trucks to take the garbage from the street, so then other people started doing it. Until it got to the point where they realized what was happening and just sent workers to pile it back on the sidewalks.

Wow. My kids really have it made. They never have to play with garbage.

Comment

Another reason to buy local.

Tom
                              Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Working...
                              X