X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mako
    replied
    Re: Soapstone as a pizza stone

I have generally heard that granite will cause trouble (you don't want to bite into a piece of it), but I have no knowledge either way on that.

Soapstone has been used for cookware for centuries, and is generally regarded as a superlative choice for pizza stones. (I believe All-Clad's stupidly expensive pizza stone is just a 13" round of soapstone with a fancy tray). I've considered getting a piece cut down for my electric oven, but recently found a local place that stocks kiln shelves, and price concerns tipped me that way.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied
    Re: Soapstone as a pizza stone

I wondered the same thing, how would Soapstone, or Granite for that matter, work as a hearth in a kitchen oven. I read James info on his kiln shelf, I wondered if this shelf was denser so it took more time to heat but then inversely would hold temps in the oven longer. I've seen an ad in craigslist locally for cut-to-fit Granite pizza stones for ovens, $25. I don't know if the lack of porosity of the stone would work against pizza and breads.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Chris

PS I also have been thinking about using a few stones for passive warming of prepaired food at the table, hot plates if you will. After all these ovens have plenty of space to heat a few stone pads.
    Last edited by SCChris; 05-19-2010, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ilfornaio
    started a topic Soapstone as a pizza stone

Soapstone as a pizza stone

Has anyone tried soapstone in a gas/electric oven??
    Will it work??
    can't start to built a wfo yet
Working...
X