cleaning ash before cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cleaning ash before cooking

by the way, how do i get the "peasant" changed?

Comment

I also use the pipe method, though mine is a 12mm (1/2") copper tube. Just remember to blow not suck. At pizza temp there should not be any black either on the dome or on the floor. Try throwing about 1/2 tsp of semolina flour on the floor. If the temp is right it should turn black in 3secs. 2 secs is too hot, it will probably burst into flame too, 4 secs is too cold, but will still cook the pizza, but it will take longer than the normal approximate two mins.
      Dave
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

keep posting, peasant!

I use regular flour on my peel.

The oven needs to be as hot as it will get to start with--white dome all the way down. Once there and you move your fire off to one side, in 20-30 minutes the hearth will come down to a temperature that, at least in my case, remains at the ideal cooking temp for pizzas with just a stick of wood or two's worth of active fire.

Comment

I have had the dome completely white both times we've used it, but i did cook right after moving the fire to the back... maybe that's why the last pizza we did saturday was the best one.. thanks..

Comment

Don't know about brown rice flour. I've always used white rice and it's super-super fine, not gritty so I don't know if the brown affects the color or taste.

And anyone that has built an oven is certainly not a "Peasant", just a quite "Master Builder" .

-Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Here's a hint: make some pita bread first. You can't have too hot a floor for pitas: They cook quick, and the blow-up pitas are a big attraction for the folks if you're having company. By the time you get done making a bag of pitas for the fridge (they make great sandwiches) your floor will be just right for pizza.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

hearing some scary issues about the use of brass bristle brushes and the possibility of ingestion. whats the alternative. i am using brass at the moment.

Comment

Mike, i used a wire brush for the first year. we had a graduation party for my daughter at my house and i hired a friend of mine that has a catering service and a portable oven to come and cook for us in my oven. he used a straw broom soaked in water.. my brush went in the trash..

Comment

I find that the first pizza always burns a little bit more on the bottom than subsequent pizzas even if they go in immediately after. It is still edible.

Comment

Forno Bravo carries residential and premium copper brushes and shovels that are excellent tools for cleaning ash. Keep in mind Forno Bravo ovens reach high cooking temperatures and any ash in your oven burns away.

Take a look at our online store, Pizza Peels & Oven Tools :: Forno Bravo Store. We have a wide selection of pizza tools!

Thanks!

Comment

"ash in your oven burns away."

This is a new one on me. Perhaps your American ash behaves differently to the ash in Australia. Here the ash is the mineral wastes left behind after all the combustible material has burned. If I decide to remove some of the ash and unburnt coals a fair proportion of it contains uncombusted material, but the bulk of the energy has already been released (coals are really light) so it's of little energy value. More often it is easier to just push it aside, unless you need the room, then you don't have to worry about disposing it.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Once a food critic was here (won't mention his blog) and asked... "what about the ashes, John". My answer to him is/was....."THAT'S PART OF IT!!!" We have been cooking pizza and bread in these type of ovens for centuries and no one has died from it yet. Charring is characteristic of WFO pizza, what's the difference. BTW, I always wipe-down my cooking surface with a damp cloth, prior to cooking pizza. It doesn't hurt the surface and in a blazing hot oven 900F, it will recover any heat-loss almost immediately.

After cooking a pizza or two, I get a black charring on the spot where the pizza was just cooked. That is from the heating surface cooling-down and not completely burning off the residual flour or whatever. If my oven is hot enough, it will just go away by the time i put another pizza in. You can also pull coals over and heat-up the spot and it will clean-up any dark spots. But now you have ashes in your pizza again...what to do? I just use a different spot to cook on... the next pizza. Everything will go away above 650-700F....guaranteed. That's pizza time!!!
                          Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                            BTW, I always wipe-down my cooking surface with a damp cloth, prior to cooking pizza. It doesn't hurt the surface and in a blazing hot oven 900F, it will recover any heat-loss almost immediately.
                            Not to say I don't disagree with brushes because I have never actually tried one.

Lwood I agree a damp cloth works, well actually I use a mop (Just for the pizza oven of course ) . Basically I keep a mop in a bucket full of water next to my oven when in use. It's multi purpose:
                            -Mop sits in bucket all night which keeps the first foot of wooden handle damp so it doesn't char the handle when used
                            -when mop needed I ring it out by hand and sweep floor, it works very well, proven by the amount of ash that collects in bottom of bucket
                            -not only is it good at picking up all the ash it picks up the odd stray coal
                            -seems to be fine if you throw it on the garden

Unofficial uses have also been known to include....

-water on hand in case I burn myself accidentally
                            - if the neighbouring cats venture too close it gets a "grey ash rinse"
                            - fill up a mates empty wine class with the grey liquid and see if he notices .....mmmmm that cab Sav was very earthy
                            Cheers
                            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Nah I wouldn't actually let someone drink it but it is funny watching them pick it up.........

I will have to try the brush method on my new build to get a better idea.

I have used the air compressor blow down nozzle get a fire roaring thought.... sounds great
                              Cheers
                              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Gudday
                                First pizza used a straw yard broom.... it caught fire...child bride was not impressed.
                                Next attempt with a bistle brush......burnt that too.
                                Next I built a brush from brass suede shoe brushes...I tell ya did that soft wood from the brushes catches fire fast. Gave me mates a laugh.
                                Sawed the end off and wired some strips of cloth to the remains dipped it in a bucket of water... haven't looked back. And it impresses the guest as the steam from the mop lifts the ash from the hearth..adds to the theater

Regards Dave
                                PS the kids are buying a store bought peel for fathers day. they recon my homemade wooden handled one is next to catch fire
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X