X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: How long to knead?

I hand mix for a few minutes, then after the first rise, knead for another 2 minutes or less, then ball for the fridge.

Leave a comment:

• Kings over Queens
    replied

Well thanks for the reply. I hope the others respond as well.

This has been rather frustrating, to say the least.

With the quantity of dough I'm making I figured you had to knead for a while, but perhaps it's too much?

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

This looks similar to our pizza dough recipe. Twenty minutes of kneading? Is that right? Holy Cow!! We have it in the Kitchenaid mixer for about 5 minutes, then knead it for 30 seconds, let it rest for an hour or so, then divide, and knead again about 20 seconds. That's it. Either rest and use in 60, or put it in the fridge and take out about 30-60 minutes prior to use.

Texassourdough and a couple of others know more about the topic than I, but I'm guessing the answer is YES!

Leave a comment:

• Kings over Queens
    started a topic How long to knead?

How long to knead?

I think I might be over-kneading. My recipe:

48 oz total flour (36oz bread/12oz whole wheat). I use king Arthur.
    30 to 32 oz water at 110
    1 tablespoon yeast
    1 good glug of honey
    1 good glug of olive oil
    2 tablespoons salt.

Proof yeast, honey and water together. Mix dry and then add to water one spoon at a time with the dough hook on my kitchen aid going. The ball comes together in about 4 or 5 minutes, then I knead for about 20.

My dough isn't very stretchy pliable and will be paper thin in some spots (to the point of tearing) and thick in other spots. Its not uniform. The flavor is good but the end product is thicker than I'd like.

Am I kneading too long...not long enough? Help.

Oh, I'm cooking in my viking oven at full blast heat (500 to 550) using the convection setting and I use travertine tiles.
Working...
X