Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neapolitan like crust without Neapolitan temps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petter
    replied
    If the bottom turns bitter at that (low) temperature, use less bench flour.

To increase the temperature, add a second floor on top of your existing to get closer to the top heat. Preferebly a biscotto or at least low duty firebricks to avoid bottom burn.

Does your oven come with a door?

Leave a comment:

• tipostrambo
    replied
    I’ve found Vito Iacopelli’s YouTube channel to be an invaluable source for bridging the gap between what is officially “correct” and what is possible for serious home chefs. His poolish recipe has helped me get respectable results from a wood-only $300 Bertello portable that has some of the same issues as your Ooni.

He adds a small amount of honey to many of his dough recipes, which helps with browning at relatively lower temps. I’ve also learned to let the oven preheat longer than I think it needs. And of course, must have flames licking the oven top the entire time you cook, not just coals. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Frznrth
    started a topic Neapolitan like crust without Neapolitan temps?

Neapolitan like crust without Neapolitan temps?

Hi
    I really like Neapolitan style pizza but it isn't easy for me to get my oven (an Onni pro) up to these temperatures consistently. Enzo Coccia in his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV4gegZ7JNU750 says you need temps between 806-869F. If you are lower the crust becomes too "crisp" I can get to around 700-750 without too much trouble. The pizzas are taking longer than a Neapolitan should and the crust is a bitter on the crisper side - but it isn't bad at all.

If this is as good as I can get I'm not going to complain. But if I want to get that bit closer to a real Neapolitan crust is there anything you would suggest trying? Adding something to the dough? A certain technique?

I've been using Enzo's Neapolitan dough recipe with the 00 that I can find close to home - not Cupto - but hopefully Ok.

Thanks for your help.
Working...
X